The importance of Fruit and Vegetable Juices in your Diet

Page 1 of 2
The importance of Fruit and Vegetable Juices in your Diet Fruits and Vegetable juices can do wonder to your health,find out here : http://www.foodone.blogspot.com

Paying attention in English class would've done wonders for your writing ability.
On Tue, 26 Jun 2007 14:27:59 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"

Got a chuckle out of that one. English teachers today aren't that far ahead of their students! Don't forget, except for the most senior ones, they grew up and were "trained" in a "scholarly" climate where grammar and syntax, not to mention spelling and punctuation, (yes, I know they're part of g & s) are becoming forgotten arts.
Capitalizing nouns a la David is characteristic of a foreign writer. German does it routinely; probably other languages as well? Which?
P.
On 6/26/07 6:37 PM, in article VbKdndJC_9qBCBzbnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@adelphia.com, "Persephone" <Persephone> wrote:

I don't know - but I am so disgusted with the "English" teachers that my son has encountered that I seriously think about home school or at least adding some writing to his work load (which is close to nonexistent).

When I was a kid, my dad used to tell me I'd end up pumping gas forever if I didn't do well in school. I told my son he could end up like President Nookular. That was enough. Sit down with your son in front of the computer and browse through the Bush quotes here. Ask him if he wants to have people laughing at him for his entire life.
http://slate.msn.com/id/76886/
(The site's been twitchy for a few days. Keep trying.)
On 6/26/07 6:59 PM, in article aTggi.11007$ snipped-for-privacy@news02.roc.ny,

The heck with Bush, I just have to point to his former English teacher that had a tongue stud and nothing she said made sense. Let alone her comment "that I does not do"

What???? Did you talk to the principal about that mutant teacher?
On 6/26/07 7:15 PM, in article 66hgi.11076$ snipped-for-privacy@news01.roc.ny,

He had no problem "with the personal expressions of our fine staff".

WHAT??????????? He sounds like the idiots who give Bush a pass for all his language disasters. There are people who are somehow able to justify his saying this:
"This process has been drug out a long time, which says to me it's political." --George W. Bush, discussing the controversy surrounding Attorney General Alberto Gonzalez
On 6/27/07 9:20 AM, in article 8utgi.11090$ snipped-for-privacy@news01.roc.ny,

Here's the best part - he was a local delegate to the NH Democratic convention. And he let go a great teacher that happened to be an outspoken Republican - for lacking "vision" in teaching. IE he attempted to teach the subject (grammar and writing skills) not kowtow to local politics.

Stupidity knows no party labels.
You'll love this: When my son was in 9th grade, he was having problems with algebra, and the teacher repeatedly told him he didn't have time to stay after school to answer questions. "Just read the textbook". This was not long after the school open house, when the teacher said he encouraged kids to come after school for extra help. So, I asked my if he wanted me to talk to the teacher or the principal. He said no - he wanted to figure out a solution himself. Two days later, he was still bitching, and saying that other kids were complaining, too. The teacher apparently was unable or unwilling to explain certain things, even in class. I explained that since we were paying for a service and not getting it, maybe he wanted to make a petition for the kids to sign, and take it to the principal. He brushed off that idea, but a few days later, he pretended it was his idea. With input from other kids, they created one that was polite and professional, but factual.
While circulating it in the hallway, between classes, some kiss-ass kid noticed, and told the principal that there was trouble brewing. My son and a friend were hauled down to the principal's office. Oops. His friend was a girl whose grandma had been the superintendent of schools, and still works as an interim administrator for other districts while they're trying to fill vacant positions. Very sharp lady, and to paraphrase a James Brown song, she don't take no mess. Grandma came to school, and the kids were released from jail. Next day, the math teacher was absent. Next day, my son came home and said the teacher had returned, and it seemed like someone had "put new batteries in him".
Six months later, the principal was gone, too.
My doctor uses the word "customer", not "patient", when I've asked him about his business. I like that. Too many professions assign special words that deflect attention from the fact that someone is being paid for a service, and the people doing the paying are customers. Students and parents are customers, and school employees need to be reminded of that from time to time.
On 6/27/07 11:20 AM, in article Kevgi.11042$ snipped-for-privacy@news02.roc.ny,

I wish it were that easy.... C

Actually, it *IS* that easy. People get away with bullshit because they assume that their critics are not willing to cause pain and embarrassment. In other words, you can choose not to be a prisoner of good manners sometimes. If you choose otherwise, you have made a conscious choice to be dissatisfied.
On 6/27/07 2:00 PM, in article KAxgi.11112$ snipped-for-privacy@news01.roc.ny,

We won't get rid of the crappy teachers until the school board and the superintendent stop sleeping with the teacher's union.

Not true. If you're willing to cause pain and embarrassment, anyone can be eliminated. Go to a school board meeting and get loud and rude, to the point where they're ready to call the cops. People go through life asleep. You need to wake them up.
On 6/27/07 3:58 PM, in article Fjzgi.11066$ snipped-for-privacy@news02.roc.ny,

Unfortunately, all the real business gets done at the "closed" sessions. At some one's home or such.
I know that several people that have raised objections to teachers, subject matter or books find their kids having mysterious "issues" at school. There's a reason I'm for vouchers...

You give up to easily. There's *always* a way to embarrass people. Walk into the school, sit down in the classroom and tell the teacher "I'm writing a newspaper article about incompetence, and I can't imagine a better place to gather information than right here". You own the school, right? The teacher is your employee. Who ever heard of a situation where employers are not allowed to watch an employee do their work? If you get arrested, send in another trooper.
On 6/28/07 8:03 AM, in article XrNgi.11112$ snipped-for-privacy@news02.roc.ny,

Outside of parent-teacher meetings, class parties and volunteers, parents are not allowed in the classroom at anytime. Self esteem and all that rot. And getting arrested will lose my DH and myself our security clearances. And jobs. And frankly, too many people are impressed by the degrees some of these "experts" have, whereas I know just how easy it is to get those extra initials. And the programs for "at risk" and "special needs" students are so well thought of that the average kids are getting the short end of the education stick.
Nope - hope for the best in school and shop for a new school situation. The only way to bring the public schools back to excellence is school choice and the end of the teacher's unions.

A friend of mine was fortunate enough to be in a situation where she could prevent morons from graduating college. That helps, too. Keep them from ever getting near a job where they can pollute childrens' minds.
She was teaching a research methods course for seniors at one of the NY state university schools. The students came from an assortment of major programs. Out of 50 students, about 5 could not write. Since writing is an important part of research, she found this to be a bit odd. But, since she was from Puerto Rico, and only in the states for about 3 years, she wondered if perhaps her own language skills were preventing her from seeing some nuances she wasn't aware of. So, she detached the names from the writing and had another faculty member review them. The consensus was that they were gibberish. The writers were all born and raised here. The writing was a requirement to pass the course, and the course was a requirement for most of the students. She flunked them. There were howls of protest, of course, but the school backed her up. She showed me a couple of samples. It wasn't a matter of their having been a bit less than elegant. It was actually impossible to figure out what these people were trying to say.
Besides just being annoyed by their lack of language skills, she had another reason for her decision. As I mentioned, she'd arrived just 3 years earlier from Puerto Rico, having taken English in high school. Her fluency was about as lame as that of students here who make the usual halfhearted effort in foreign language courses here, because the high school requires it. A year later, her English was absolutely perfect, simply through immersion - living with the language. So, how is it that people born & raised here, immersed in English since birth, are unable to write or speak the language?

I had an English teacher in 9th grade, a fellow born American who couldn't spell. I think one of the problems is that there are so many rich/famous people who really didn't need an education to get where they are(Bush has already been mentioned, but another case in point of low priorities of education. How many 'celebrities' these days have a college degree?). I know I was always an 'oddball' in school for actually wanting to learn. Most of the other kids were just in school because it was legally required, but they didn't give a damn about an 'education'. We moved around so much that I had to get my GED just so I could start community college on schedule, since I was two years behind where I was supposed to be. And I was happy to be in college where people are there because they want to be, not because it's mandated by law. I think it would help if in grade/high school, the standards were higher, because as I remember it(having been done with school for years now, I've tried to repress most of it), you could graduate even with only a D average. That doesn't give most kids a reason to try harder than that. I might have considered being a teacher if I didn't know the downsides of it, because I know I'd get summers and holidays off.