Systemic pesticide for roses

I've planted garlic around the roses with good success. Definitely kid and pet friendly.
Kate

On Tue, 05 May 2009 19:11:34 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@notme.com wrote:

Kate, you are extra fortunate to have garlic that works. I have a row of garlic in front of my roses, it dies to the ground in June but comes back in January. It is the companion plant. It does nothing to stop the aphids, not sure about deer or vampires though.

I circle the roses with garlic and then try to remember not to weed them out in the Spring. The wild roses I didn't and one is eaten up, the other ok and closest to the garlic.
Off I go to gather plantain and then mow - it's not raining today!
Happy gardening!
Kate

Systemic means it's taken up and circulated within the entire plant. Systemics are really only dangerous if you eat some part of the treated plant.

For white flies or aphids, insecticidal soap (topical, not systemic) -- homebrew from Bronner's or dish soap works as well as more expensive commercial preps. Don't waste money on commercial soaps with neem, if my experience is any indication.
For aphids, lady bugs do a great job and tend to stay put, unlike mantises.
In article

ANd the environment Frank? How does it affect the environment Frank? What could the downside be? MSDS is your friend, just like google.
--

- Billy

That depends on the exact compound. Systemic vs topical is a distinction which indicates nothing else.
Personally, for anything that goes directly into the ground, I'd go strictly organic.

Anything misused can be dangerous. For example, water can be very dangerous.

Not all systemic products are sprayed. Spraying can be hazardous due to inhalation.

There are Rose Food/Systemic products that are applied to the soil, scratched in and the pesticide is taken up by the roots.
I use the Ortho product (Bayer makes one too) on my roses only. I am willing to try other remedies, that is, if there is one that I have not tried. Aphids are hard to control.

I have ordered Bayer's systemic pesticide/food spikes.
Supposedly one just shoves a spike into the ground next to the rose and it will kill pests and feed the plant for up to 2 months.
Sprays of all kinds bother me. The thought of breathing any of them scares me.
If the spikes work, I think that will be the easiest and safest way to take care of my roses.
Freckles

Thanks for supporting a company that is poisoning my grandchildren and the pollinators and a lot of other living things.

For Eff's sake......putting them in the water supply doesn't scare you?

Educate yourself, and/or quit trying to grow stuff that perhaps shouldn't be grown. Damn.
<Charlie> wrote in message >>> wrote:

If you think you have a problen with Bayer and their products complain to your congressmen and Senators.

Nah, I don't *think* I have a problem with Bayer and their products, I *do* have a problem with them. Been complaining to representatives for years and you see where we are.
Listen kid, you need to educate yourself about the political and economic wonders of the U$ and the world, as well as several other subjects.
You know anything about the history of Bayer, their products, their financial and political ties, yada yada? I doubt it.
Hmmm...now that you mention it, should I start writing my congresscritters about the condition of education and independent thinking in the U$?
Now, get off the damned Usenet and go resume your studies, kid.
Charlie
<Charlie> wrote in message >>>>> wrote:

Thanks for calling me kid, but since I'm 71 I don't think the shoe fits. I also have an extensive education including academics and personal experiences.
I wonder how much better off we would all be if fanatics like your self would quit disrupting scientist and let them conduct humane experiments on animals. Perhaps they could find cures for many horrible diseases and even find products that could replace some of the "dangerous" chemicals you seem so concerned about.
But a fanatic is a fanatic no matter their cause.

Uh, yeah....ok, if you say so. I guess I wasn't able to glean that from your, uh, responses.

Thank you for providing this key to understanding more about from whence you cometh. I'm even less impressed now.

See previous response for qualifiers for fanatic....uncritical, unreasoning......
Charlie
<Charlie> wrote in message >>>>>>> wrote:

Was I trying to impress you? Why? You are an ignorant twit.

Upon what do you base that evaluation? Can you give a citation, if you have no logical answer?
--

- Billy

Ah, but how do we know you got it right? What with your advanced age and all.
Hmmm? Maybe you're just irritated that soon, you'll be shuffling off this mortal coil, and you hate to think that anyone is going to have a good time when you're gone. That would explain your desire to see biocides splashed everywhere.
--

- Billy

Aw jeez, another blowhard (academics and personal experiences).
So if your so smart, why don't you respond to the discussion of the environmental impact of biocides on the environment, instead of obfuscating by bring up another subject? What is it, alzheimer's?
--

- Billy

Uh, humans are animals ya know. How much more could we learn experimenting on, uh, let's say humans that defile the environment? You'll have to admit, it would be no great loss.

If those chemicals come from Monsanto or Dow, they don't need to be replaced, they need to be terminated. Why is it that a self professed smart guy like you doesn't seem to know squat about IPM?

"Extremism in the defense of liberty "Is" no vice...and moderation in the pursuit of justice "Is" no virtue."
--

- Billy

It is often said that a word to the wise is sufficient, but that leaves you out. No, the best way to deal with Bayer, Monsanto, Dow, et al. is to stop buying their products. Your obviously not intelligent enough to learn but others are. Why do you think the first family is going "ORGANIC"? So we organic types will proselytize and spread our word, and maybe that will give dullards, like yourself, a chance to reconsider.
--

- Billy

Obama went organic, because it was the politically correct thing to do. Oddly he chose a Redwood swing set for the White House. Very un-pc.