Squash vine borers

Page 1 of 2
How do you stop them from killing the vines? I tried to cover the vines with soil but that didn't work. I tried Sevin dust. That didn't work either. What are you doing that works? We are growing squash, water mellons and cantalopes.

I personally gave up on trying. :-( I'm considering trying them as a fall crop. Some people report good success by spraying the bases with BT on a regular basis. Others have tried sevin spray instead of sevin dust.

Peace! Om

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a Son of a Bitch."

If we can't find something to work we too will give up on these crops. With prices so high in the stores and loving these veggies I thought I'd try one more time growing them.

If the list gives us alternatives, we'll both be happy. :-)
I just read one post that said butternut is resistant. We love that stuff but it's a winter squash. I'd like to be able to grow both.
Tatuma really is good. They sell it in the stores here so I may give that a try. Baby pumpkin also eats well as a green squash and I don't recall whether we had problems with borers or not with those. It's been too long since I've grown one.
--
Peace! Om

The only ones that were destroyed by borers were our crooknecks and zucchinis. Two of our favorites. Butternuts were not affected. Our squash are all coming up now. Unless watered profusely, pumpkins don't do to well where I live.

Yeah. Crooknecks, Zuch's and pattypans were what they did in for me. :-(
--
Peace! Om

When you plant your squash, plant three white icicle radish seeds near the stem. This prevents the squash borers from doing their damage. If you already have damage, remove the borer, and plant the cut part as deeply as you can and water in well so it has a chance to re-root.
Regards, June

Have you tried the radishes yourself or is that something you read someplace?
Katey Didd wrote:

There's a squash variety called "tatuma" that is resistant to squash borers. Just be warned that the vines are aggressive and can run about 50 feet. They taste pretty good, though.
Bob

I have not seen these seeds in the stores. Is this a winter or summer squash?

Summer, but I, too, would have to look for (or mail order) the seeds. They sell the squash in the stores locally.
--
Peace! Om

Katey Didd wrote:

It can go either way (but usually used as a summer squash.) BTW, the *squash* taste pretty good, the vines taste terrible.
Bob

Apparently not to the borers. <wink>

Tatuma is delicious. :-) Now I just need to look for seeds! No, I'm not the OP, but I've had the same trouble so had just given up on even trying to grow squashes or melons.
--
Peace! Om

If they're already in the vines, slit the vine near the point of entry, remove the borers and then immediately cover the slit with earth. The vine should put down roots at that point.
We've done it for squash. It worked. We moved to butternut squash because it keeps (just ate the last of the harvest) and it's resistant to borer.
We don't do melons.
*Be aware that Sevin is particularly toxic to bees.*
http://attra.ncat.org/attra-pub/squash_pest.html
http://www.ca.uky.edu/entomology/entfacts/ef314.asp
http://www.organicgardeninfo.com/squash-vine-borer.html
http://www.backyardgardener.com/wcgp/problems/squash_borer.html
Google is your friend.
Of course, crop rotation is another option.

We have two vegetable gardens several hundred feet apart. Everything is rotated but the greens. The borers found the squash. A neighbor suggested we cover them with screening but the cost is too much. The soil is rich with compost and the plants get huge.

the borers are generally only an issue with seedlings though. sometimes tinfoil collars work, or if the borers are already in the vine slit it & remove them. do not compost vines killed by borers. sanitation helps a lot too.
lee
--
Last night while sitting in my chair
I pinged a host that wasn't there

the adult is a clearwing moth. i've never had borers kill mature vines, but i bury vines as they grow so that they root along the length. i do put tinfoil collars on young plants of the squash & cucumber family. if borers are a real problem, you could try floating row covers & hand pollenate the flowers... are you slitting the vines where the borers are, or are you slitting the entire vine looking for them? there's usually a hole with frass near the borers location, & the moth lays the eggs at the base of the vine, so the first place to look is at the base, & then look for the frass. lee
--
Last night while sitting in my chair
I pinged a host that wasn't there

We're retired now and can't afford to by row covers. This gardening is starting to get expensive. Insecticide, weed cloth, fertilizers, limestone, Ironite.........

The *&^%$# borer is usually not near the hole. I have to slit the stem and look for it, and the plant (crooknecks and zucchini) never recovers. I'm going to put collars on them and use Sevin under and around the collars. If that doesn't work I'll have to give up on these squash.