Can I prune a squash vine?

A volunteer squash plant in my garden is outproducing the squash that I planted; I may pull up the planted ones to make room for it. (seriously) But the volunteer is running like a pumpkin vine -- covered with perfect little yellow straightneck squash.

Can I pinch back the runners on some of the vines so they don't smother my whole garden? It's just one plant, but it's growing several feet per day in all directions. I don't want to kill it, but I need to slow it down a little in a few directions.

Thanks, Bob

Reply to
zxcvbob

zxcvbob wrote: [snip]

No harm in pruning a few of the runners to control its habit.

Reply to
ToweringQs

Sure. This is a common technique for those who grow huge curcurbits. I have a horse who prunes mine when they run under the fence, this is not a gentle process, and the part remaining inside the fence is fine.

David

Reply to
David Hare-Scott