Making stepping stones

Anybody had luck making those stepping stones by pouring concrete into a mold?

What do you put underneath so you can remove the stepping stone w/o it setting up to the underneath surface and becoming immovable?

TIA

Persephone

Reply to
Persephone

You probably have to remove it before the concrete gets really hard. There's a stage where it holds together, but is still quite soft.

I've done the ones with rhubarb leaves. Of course with them the rhubarb leaf gradually rots away. Lots of fun digging the stem out with them. Dora

Reply to
bungadora

Spread a piece of plastic under the mold before pouring the concrete. It worked fine for me, and I poured a few during the winter, (down in the basement) letting them age before placing them in the garden. Be sure to have a hard flat surface under the plastic when you want to impress the shape of leaves, etc., right?

Reply to
bop_pa

Quoting relevant portions of the post to which you are replying helps all of us follow along easily.

Care Charlie

Reply to
Charlie

A useful tip if you leave them out all winter, stop the pour half way through and put a piece of screening in the middle to stabilize the stepping stone. This works with all kinds of molds.

A very simple mold/form is an on 5 gallon bucket cut in sections about 2" thick. A piece of cardboard underneath with plastic wrap on it acts as the bottom and a little petroleum jelly on the inside of form lets it lift off easily.

Cheryl Isaak

Thanks for all the great answers.

I didn't even think about using leaves -- not creative enough, I guess , but it sounds like it would yield much more aesthetic stepping stones.

What kinds of leaves (rhubard has been mentioned) have people used, and at what stage do you remove them to avoid the hassle one poster mentioned. And -- this is embarrassing -- do you put them at the bottom and pour over them, or at the top, and then fish them out?

By the same token, other objets could be used to create an interesting surface... like...?

TIA

Persephone.

Reply to
Persephone

This could get expensive but the ideas may inspire.

Bill whose best friends got the real stuff around Paducah (SP) Kentucky. Real stone Fossils so an option does exists but I do not know where you reside so I can't recommend if it feasible .

Reply to
Bill

It works best if the leaves have an interesting overall shape, and fairly deep, incised veins. Wait until the concrete has set up a bit, enough to hold the shape when you gently press the leaf into the mix. If its too soon the concrete will be too soft, and will not hold the "image" of the leaf. I never remove the leaf itself, just leave it to rot/dry away naturally.

Other things: Keys, put the large part towards the center, arrange in a circle, or put a round object in the center = daisy Rocks, small water washed pebbles of pretty colors, heart shaped rocks Tools, old screwdriver, wrench, trowel, pruners Metal machine parts: gears, bolts, interesting shapes, etc. they will rust to a great patina Marbles, beads Key chain "thingies" initials, medallions etc Jewelry: old costume jewelry pins, necklace chains Plastic bugs: I have used lady bugs which look great Have fun Perse Emilie NorCal

Reply to
mleblanca