springtime "who am I"

once again been looking thru my flower links but can't get a grasp on a flower just found in the woods ( and transplanted of course <grin>) ...midstate NY ...end of March and same time a crocus bloom
Flower is low growing ie 5 inches high, about 1 1/2 inches wide, w/six bright yellow pointed petals, large stamen cluster, and just under petals are 9 green leaves in a circle ( like a platter),some leaves bifurcated and of slightly larger diameter than the flower petals
TIA, Stew Corman from sunny Endicott
snipped-for-privacy@stny.rr.com wrote:

Removing plants from the wild is a crime. You should be hung by the neck until dead.

USDA Zone 8b
thanks for the helpful post ...BUT, I happen to own the woods thankyouvery much ...I frequently collect native species like yellow star grass, lemon lily, wild geranium, and blue-eyed iris and transplant to flower beds ... I could assault your arrogant position, but you are really not worth it!
now if anyone competant could help me in my search, I'd be appreciative
Stew Corman from sunny Endicott
Hi,
Do you have a picture of it? That would probably help in identifying it:)
Angie in the Boonies of East Texas

yes, I will take a photo as soon as it stops raining ( maybe four or five days until sun comes out <sigh>)
snipped-for-privacy@stny.rr.com wrote:

weeks ago:
http://www.the-tree.org.uk/EnchantedForest/WoodlandFlowers/WinterAconite.jpeg
--
Jean B.

yup, hit the nail on the head ...thanks also to "gypsy" who also emailed me with a few suggestions incl eranthis "winter aconite": http://www.gaygardener.com/gardenspot/bulbs005.phtml
here is a pic I shot this morning:
http://www.geocities.com/scorman/pics/Flowers/1264.jpg
Thanks to the forum again, Stew Corman from sunny Endicott
snipped-for-privacy@stny.rr.com wrote:

just happened to spot one on a walk and was very curious about this early bloom. A friend on another group immediately came up with the answer. Glad I could pass it on.
--
Jean B.