transplanting sedums

After years of looking for groundcover plants that work here in my dry, sunny, sandy Eastern Ontario landscape, I finally discovered sedums last year. Wonderful! So great that this year I am going to do some serious transplanting of cuttings from my original bed to landscape around a rock garden which I had built just before freezeup last fall.

At the moment of course the sedums are just newly emerged from the snow and still dormant, although very healthy looking, with quite a bit of last fall's colour. So my question is, do I need to wait until they get new growth, or can I go ahead and transplant cuttings as soon as I get the soil prepared to receive them?

Reply to
Dave Gower

madgardener

Exactly to which "Sedums" is it you allude?

Its a very big genus and many of the plants grown as such are no longer in that genus.

Reply to
Cereus-validus.....

That's Orostachys, oh mad one.

They ain't "cookies.

The deciduous "Sedums" are now Hylotelephium.

Sedum spurium is now Phedimus.

Sedum kamtschaticum and its kin are now Aizopsis.

The "blue spruce" types are now Petrosedum.

Sempervivum are not Sedum.

Reply to
Cereus-validus.....

Thanks, MG. I have no idea what varieties I have (I simply picked the ones I liked at a local garden centre last summer) but it sounds like I have lots of freedom. I think I can take it for granted that anything sold at an Ontario garden centre is going to be cold-tolerant :

Reply to
Dave Gower

Reply to
madgardener