springtime "who am I"

once again been looking thru my flower links but can't get a grasp on a flower just found in the woods ( and transplanted of course ) ...midstate NY ...end of March and same time a crocus bloom

Flower is low growing ie 5 inches high, about 1 1/2 inches wide, w/six bright yellow pointed petals, large stamen cluster, and just under petals are 9 green leaves in a circle ( like a platter),some leaves bifurcated and of slightly larger diameter than the flower petals

TIA, Stew Corman from sunny Endicott

Reply to
scorman

Removing plants from the wild is a crime. You should be hung by the neck until dead.

Reply to
Travis

thanks for the helpful post ...BUT, I happen to own the woods thankyouvery much ...I frequently collect native species like yellow star grass, lemon lily, wild geranium, and blue-eyed iris and transplant to flower beds ... I could assault your arrogant position, but you are really not worth it!

now if anyone competant could help me in my search, I'd be appreciative

Stew Corman from sunny Endicott

Reply to
scorman

Hi,

Do you have a picture of it? That would probably help in identifying it:)

Angie in the Boonies of East Texas

Reply to
junkyardcat

yes, I will take a photo as soon as it stops raining ( maybe four or five days until sun comes out )

Reply to
scorman

Here's my guess, mostly because I wondered what this was a few weeks ago:

Jean B.

yup, hit the nail on the head ...thanks also to "gypsy" who also emailed me with a few suggestions incl eranthis "winter aconite":

is a pic I shot this morning:
to the forum again, Stew Corman from sunny Endicott

Reply to
scorman

Hehe. Well, my knowledge of such things is practically nil. I just happened to spot one on a walk and was very curious about this early bloom. A friend on another group immediately came up with the answer. Glad I could pass it on.

Reply to
Jean B.