Seeds

Page 1 of 2
A neighbor has just informed me that he has been having a problem getting seeds from a local nursery. Seems the government has something to do with it. Anyone heard anything?
Steve
SteveB wrote:

What nursery? What Government?
David
SteveB wrote:

Yes, Obama administration is going after companies like Burpee that only give you a dozen seeds for $2.98. Obscene profits and misuse of TARP funds are driving seed companies to bankruptcy.
Frank wrote:

This would be wonderful. I just bought 70 mg of Burpee Chamomile seed for 1.79. This equates to US$ 11,600.00 per pound.
Can you cite a responsible reference where I can read about the government action?
EJ in NJ
If you need german chamomile seeds, I got tons...literally...it has become a weed on our property...and it gets tall...over 5ft...I would pay people to take the seeds I harvested last year if I had the money to pay them...

Ernie Willson wrote:

Just being facetious, of course.
I got a much better deal on my Burpee cucumber seeds, 700 mg. for $1.99
Frank wrote:

That is a much better deal, only $1290.00 per pound.
EJ in NJ

Not sure what you are saying Frank? Could we get a citation?
--
W. Atlee Burpee & Company ---> sold to Geo J. Ball Inc. 1989 -->
--> merged with Seminis in October 1995 --> purchased by Mon$anto in

Add to this the 2008 acquistion of Netherlands based De Ruiter Seeds.
http://www.planetark.com/dailynewsstory.cfm/newsid/47728/story.htm
"Unlike the Seminis business, which is primarily directed at the open-field vegetable market, the bulk of De Ruiter's business is for greenhouse growers, known as the "protected culture market," which Monsanto said is the fastest-growing area of the vegetable seed industry today."

Good compilation of info, Billy. And thanks for the Stromme cite.
Ya' know, this brings up another problem, involving supporting your local nursery and grower. What is the source of their seed?
Charlie
Billy wrote:

Eerm, this makes it seem desirable to save one's own seeds. Oh yeah. That might be illegal. Still...
--
Jean B.

Not the open pollenated seeds, at least not yet, but Mon$anto et al. are buying them up and discontinuing them. That is where Seed Savers Exchange comes in <http://www.seedsavers.org/ . There are good nurseries that support open pollinated seeds like Nichols Garden Nursery <http://www.nicholsgardennursery.com/store/default.asp?mscssid=LLSRFKE98A SQ9H>, Victory Seed Company <http://www.victoryseeds.com/ , Fedco Seeds <http://www.fedcoseeds.com/ , and others, so we aren't quite up against it yet. Learning to save seeds, would benefit us all.

--

- Billy

Ha....you must be another of those kooks! ;-) Welcome, Jean.

One of the problems with saving seed, at least in my experience, and not having acres and acres upon which to grow, is variety selection.
Fer instance, we like three varieties of cucumber, Japanese Climbing, Suyo Long, and Yamato Extra Long... and at least two of us are unwilling to budge....at some point we're going to have to come to agreement on one variety/year for three years, or go thru the caging routine and all that.....feh.
Many veggies don't require strictness to prevent cross-pollination, but some do, as you know.
One also needs to observe what, if anything, the neighbors are growing.
Finding others in your area, or joining seedsavers, is a way to spread varieties around and maintain purity.
Anyway, just my nickels worth about one problematic factor for me. I want to grow them all!!!
Charlie, playin' with his crayola mainly
Charlie wrote:

Oh sure, but doing something is better than doing nothing.
I find I am getting more "crazy" (radical) about plant- and wildlife-related things as time passes.
My neighbors? They are not on the same wavelength at all.
--
Jean B.

Well.... good, as it should be, eh? ;-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?vFbkXgxb66E

Mine aren't either.
Charlie
Charlie wrote:

Sigh. People are so... ?blind? ?uncaring?
For those of us who do see, this is puzzling at best. Shouldn't the life of the planet, of its flora and fauna, outweigh things like monoculture lawns?
I was thinking about this a tad (well, I frequently think about the issue as a whole, since there are constant reminders of it in life) and thought I would relate one little thing. I knew that a former relationship had NO hope when the other party said casually said that he used pesticides and herbicides to appease his neighbors. Casually. As if it made no difference!
It would be nice for all if like-minded people could live in some sort of community. I had hoped to move someplace where MY views would not bother neighbors, but now I have no idea where I am moving to....
I am rambling....
--
Jean B.

Think of us as a bell some saints some evil with a lot of real folks in between.

Got watch our with the idea that before you can comment one has to remove the stake in ones own eye.

Your other may have changed in time.

A commune ! Well communes are made of people some like "The Farm aka Steven Haskin's" and some like "Jonestown aka Jim Jones" . Like minded folks may sound neat but differences may promote growth and afford the idea of progress to unfold. Nation states can fall in this likeness trap very easily.

No one will notice if you take a low key approach and keep your views to yourself . Where ever you move to there you are . Hippie stuff could hell myself.

I'm attracted to rambling myself but also encourage social interaction / studies. May learn new tricks :))
Bill Reminded of Richard Feyman's book title. "What do you care what anyone else thinks."
--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA

Not all who wander are lost.
Billy wrote:

This is just so crazy. Yes, I will start saving seeds.
--
Jean B.

"Seed to Seed" -- By Suzanne Ashworth.
http://rareseeds.com/seeds/Books/Seed-to-Seed
Can't recommend it enough.
This book is "The Holy Writ" (credit for the dubbing to Gary) of seedsaving and well worth the money. The link I posted also has an amazing collection of heirlooms and you get good measure for your money. I've been using them for a long time. They are deserving of our support.
Charlie
Charlie wrote:

Thanks. I will order the book and save this information for future reference.
--
Jean B.

I buy various seed brands. I wish I could purchase Shaker seeds, but recently I was looking for flat-leaf parsley seeds at Home Depot. They had Ferry Morse (1.89) or Burpee (1.09) for a packet. The amount of seeds was not important, so I bought the Burpee which contained more seeds than I need (I will save most of these for next year). To my surprise the Burpee packet contained a smaller sealed foil packet to keep the seeds fresh. Never seen this before, but I give Burpee a thumbs up for packaging. I will have to see how many of the 55 seeds germinate in the 10" pot.