Seeds

A neighbor has just informed me that he has been having a problem getting seeds from a local nursery. Seems the government has something to do with it. Anyone heard anything?

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

What nursery? What Government?

David

Reply to
David Hare-Scott

Yes, Obama administration is going after companies like Burpee that only give you a dozen seeds for $2.98. Obscene profits and misuse of TARP funds are driving seed companies to bankruptcy.

Reply to
Frank

This would be wonderful. I just bought 70 mg of Burpee Chamomile seed for 1.79. This equates to US$ 11,600.00 per pound.

Can you cite a responsible reference where I can read about the government action?

EJ in NJ

Reply to
Ernie Willson

If you need german chamomile seeds, I got tons...literally...it has become a weed on our property...and it gets tall...over 5ft...I would pay people to take the seeds I harvested last year if I had the money to pay them...

Reply to
Lilah Morgan

Just being facetious, of course.

I got a much better deal on my Burpee cucumber seeds, 700 mg. for $1.99

Reply to
Frank

That is a much better deal, only $1290.00 per pound.

EJ in NJ

Reply to
Ernie Willson

Not sure what you are saying Frank? Could we get a citation?

Reply to
Billy

Add to this the 2008 acquistion of Netherlands based De Ruiter Seeds.

"Unlike the Seminis business, which is primarily directed at the open-field vegetable market, the bulk of De Ruiter's business is for greenhouse growers, known as the "protected culture market," which Monsanto said is the fastest-growing area of the vegetable seed industry today."

Ya' know, this brings up another problem, involving supporting your local nursery and grower. What is the source of their seed?

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie

Thrilled to hear it (if true - couldn't find a citation). Monsanto is my favorite object of international hatred. Among the other unconscionable things they do: SELL water to indigenous people (S. America, I think I read in Mother Jones' article on the subject.) People who used to dig their own wells, are now stuck with BUYING

Reply to
Amateur

yeah. That might be illegal. Still...

Reply to
Jean B.

Not the open pollenated seeds, at least not yet, but Mon$anto et al. are buying them up and discontinuing them. That is where Seed Savers Exchange comes in . There are good nurseries that support open pollinated seeds like Nichols Garden Nursery , Victory Seed Company , Fedco Seeds , and others, so we aren't quite up against it yet. Learning to save seeds, would benefit us all.

Reply to
Billy

Ha....you must be another of those kooks! ;-) Welcome, Jean.

One of the problems with saving seed, at least in my experience, and not having acres and acres upon which to grow, is variety selection.

Fer instance, we like three varieties of cucumber, Japanese Climbing, Suyo Long, and Yamato Extra Long... and at least two of us are unwilling to budge....at some point we're going to have to come to agreement on one variety/year for three years, or go thru the caging routine and all that.....feh.

Many veggies don't require strictness to prevent cross-pollination, but some do, as you know.

One also needs to observe what, if anything, the neighbors are growing.

Finding others in your area, or joining seedsavers, is a way to spread varieties around and maintain purity.

Anyway, just my nickels worth about one problematic factor for me. I want to grow them all!!!

Charlie, playin' with his crayola mainly

Reply to
Charlie

This is just so crazy. Yes, I will start saving seeds.

Reply to
Jean B.

Oh sure, but doing something is better than doing nothing.

I find I am getting more "crazy" (radical) about plant- and wildlife-related things as time passes.

My neighbors? They are not on the same wavelength at all.

Reply to
Jean B.

"Seed to Seed" -- By Suzanne Ashworth.

't recommend it enough.

This book is "The Holy Writ" (credit for the dubbing to Gary) of seedsaving and well worth the money. The link I posted also has an amazing collection of heirlooms and you get good measure for your money. I've been using them for a long time. They are deserving of our support.

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie

Well.... good, as it should be, eh? ;-)

Mine aren't either.

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie

Thanks. I will order the book and save this information for future reference.

Reply to
Jean B.

Sigh. People are so... ?blind? ?uncaring?

For those of us who do see, this is puzzling at best. Shouldn't the life of the planet, of its flora and fauna, outweigh things like monoculture lawns?

I was thinking about this a tad (well, I frequently think about the issue as a whole, since there are constant reminders of it in life) and thought I would relate one little thing. I knew that a former relationship had NO hope when the other party said casually said that he used pesticides and herbicides to appease his neighbors. Casually. As if it made no difference!

It would be nice for all if like-minded people could live in some sort of community. I had hoped to move someplace where MY views would not bother neighbors, but now I have no idea where I am moving to....

I am rambling....

Reply to
Jean B.

Think of us as a bell some saints some evil with a lot of real folks in between.

Got watch our with the idea that before you can comment one has to remove the stake in ones own eye.

Your other may have changed in time.

A commune ! Well communes are made of people some like "The Farm aka Steven Haskin's" and some like "Jonestown aka Jim Jones" . Like minded folks may sound neat but differences may promote growth and afford the idea of progress to unfold. Nation states can fall in this likeness trap very easily.

No one will notice if you take a low key approach and keep your views to yourself . Where ever you move to there you are . Hippie stuff could hell myself.

I'm attracted to rambling myself but also encourage social interaction / studies. May learn new tricks :))

Bill Reminded of Richard Feyman's book title. "What do you care what anyone else thinks."

Reply to
Bill