Sassafras Tree

Can anyone recommend a company we can order a Sassafras tree from? We live in zone 5 Ohio and haven't found any nearby. One reason I want a Sassafras tree is because it brings back a fond memory of my grandfather (past away in

1980) showing me his tree and giving me a leaf to chew on. It tasted nice. Does anyone have a Sassafras tree? Ever made Sassafras tea? Any information anyone cares to share about this wonderful tree is appreciated. Thanks
Reply to
Hud

Yes, we have a sassafras tree in the backyard. We dry the leaves and grind them to make gumbo file'. Haven't had sassafras tea in years, used to be made from the roots of the tree. Read somewhere a while back that it wasn't considered safe to drink anymore. Don't remember the details.

The only way I know you might find one is find someone in your area who has one and might have some seedlings coming up, either from the roots or the tiny fruit the tree makes in the spring. Otherwise a Google search for "sassafras trees" might show you a nursery that has them.

Many years ago a friend had a huge sassafras tree in his yard that windstorm blew over. He had it cut into planks and then air dried for a year. He lined a closet with the planks and it smelled wonderful in the closet for many years.

George

Reply to
George Shirley

We have it all about and I love the smell. Used to make it into a tea or infusion 40 years ago.

Too bad it is a human carcinogen.

Bill who still pulls it for the smell.

Reply to
William Wagner

I do not know if they have sass.

John A. Keslick, Jr. Arborist
Beware of so-called tree experts who do not understand tree biology. Storms, fires, floods, earthquakes, and volcanic eruptions keep reminding us that we are not the boss.

Reply to
symplastless