Run-Away Vine

Page 4 of 4

expounded:

Well, superwoman I'm not, Ann. And maybe I'm a bit lazy. I'm tired and haven't been well for some years if you must know the truth. I am getting old. It is not a pleasure having had one case of skin cancer among other things to be out in the hot sun weeding. yes I can do it after the sun goes down but overcast days have ultraviolet rays bouncing around, I have a hat and whatever, the wind blows it off, don't like it. I don't want to weed. I don't like it. I planted some pretty flowers. It is all I can do to hand weed those and carry gallons of water where the hose won't reach behind the garage, keep up with the rest of the constant watering in the heat, my interest in photography has been shot to you know what from all this gardening work which I haven't done for years, and it's nowhere near where I eventually want to be with it. It has been hot. It is all I can do to keep up with that much and work on two projects inside destined for outside if they ever get done that are dear to my heart.
I'm glad there are some women who can do it right. I am not one of them.

.6 acre? OMG! i suppose you panic at the site of a mouse trap? do you put bells around the necks of your cats? ;)
--
rosie

"If you had a European prime minister who experienced what we've

Cats don't go out. It isn't huge by most standards, but it's all I've got down here. I'm surrounded, however, by over eight acres of award-winning rhododendron woodland gardens, so it seems bigger.
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts
rosie

"If you had a European prime minister who experienced what we've

Yea, I got that, but I was being serious.

I don't mean to belittle anyone who can't, it's those that won't, and use poisons.....
I apologize to anyone who can't weed but still love their gardens.
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts
Y'all ever read the label on canned goods, packaged goods, etc. Unless the stuff is 100 % home grown and home cooked, who knows what all those chemicals could do.

pixi wrote:

a little bit MIGHT be good for you. do a search on 'chemical hormesis'
Carl
--
to reply, change ( .not) to ( .net)

I'm not sure what part of the country you are from, but here in the Midwest, if you don't spray with chemicals at the proper time, you can kiss your fruit good-bye. Organic methods are only partial solutions, so until you come up with a preventative for apple maggots and codling moths of which I get my share, I'm spraying with the proper chemicals to kill them. I'm not worried about getting poisoned because I don't spray a few weeks before picking. That gives the sun and rain plenty of time to break down these chemicals. I also wash my fruit before eating it. For those fanatics who still think they are in danger, you can peel the skin off an apple since the chemicals do not penetrate through it. Avoiding chemicals totally is hypocritical, since we are exposed to much worse stuff in the air we breath, etc., etc. If it makes you feel better and you don't mind all that attacked fruit, go ahead and stick exclusively to organics.
Sherwin D.
I Love Lucy wrote:

Love Lucy "pixi" snipped-for-privacy@hardynet.com wrote in message
I'm going to start painting the leaves tomorrow. Can't spray. Too many plants and shrubs around.-
Are you going to paint it on full strength? I've got a can of th stuff and am hesitant to use it full strength, but I think that would be mos
effective on stubborn, woody nuisances with vast underground root systems.
One spill or slip, and I'll really mess up the soil. I was going to pour just what I thought I needed in something smaller over the toile
(ducking).
you must follow the directions on the can in order for roundup to wor properly. not doing so can make its effectiveness that much less. also roundup i a contact herbicide not a systemic one so it only affects the plants and does no remain in the ground. cyaaaaa, sockiescat:)
-- sockiescat
wrote in message
I'm convinced not to use it full strength. Some time back we were talking about another chemical which the hardware store didn't have that some people use, and I confess to having a hard time keeping it all straight because I haven't used toxic chemicals for years, actually I don't think ever in liquid form. I don't even like to spray or have my house sprayed.
My young Orkin man got sick years ago, and I suspect (he did, too) that it was because his immune system was compromised by using those chemicals all day.
I checked my notes. It was triclopr. So I bought Roundup and have put some thought into the safest way of handling it. Probably on the sidewalk by the outdoor tap.
Unless a poster (not you) has something really helpful to say, just shut up. I don't want to poison the whole water supply and however I poured the stuff, was hoping to avoid spilling one drop, but have to have some kind of contingency plan.
<snip>

It wouldn't have any effect. Roundup (Glyphosate) has to be sprayed (spread) onto growing foliage and absorbed. Using it any other way is just a waste of your money.
See:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glyphosate
I gave this only a brief look, wiki info isn't always correct. It did appear to have the basics though, explaining exactly how Glyphosate works.
Anyone who uses Roundup or Glyphosate should take the time to read and understand how it is suppose to work before using it.
If you buy your groceries from the store you have been eating the stuff (Glyphosate) for years now. Trace amounts can be found in virtually all products made from commercially grown crops.

That's what the guy told me at the hardware store where I bought it. Foliage. That's good enough for me. Easier, too.
Yes, I will read the back of the can carefully before I tackle that. Thanks for the good info.

Pour gasoline on it lots of it.

That is a terrible thing to advise. Even worse than Roundup. Much worse.

It will kill it better than round up.

Yes, and anything else that is planted in that soil for some time.