Run-Away Vine

You are not talking about me. I do not put toxic chemicals into my toilet and we have a septic system, hundreds of feet from anyone's water supply.

Reply to
pixi

Sorry about that. My mistake - it was intended for "I Love Lucy", who said: "One spill or slip, and I'll really mess up the soil. I was going to pour just what I thought I needed in something smaller over the toilet (ducking)."

She/he "ducked" because it was clear that the idea was a bad one.

By the way, it doesn't matter that you have a septic system. They are designed to allow seepage into the soil, or they could not function properly. Underground water can travel quite a distance, taking contaminants along with it.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Since none of the garden chemicals available have ever been, or ever will be properly tested for safety (assuming the science of testing remains as it is now), it is not safe to assume anything about them, or the places they end up.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Reply to
pixi

Are you going to paint it on full strength? I've got a can of th stuff and am hesitant to use it full strength, but I think that would be mos

effective on stubborn, woody nuisances with vast underground root systems.

One spill or slip, and I'll really mess up the soil. I was going to pour just what I thought I needed in something smaller over the toile

(ducking).

you must follow the directions on the can in order for roundup to wor properly. not doing so can make its effectiveness that much less. also roundup i a contact herbicide not a systemic one so it only affects the plants and does no remain in the ground. cyaaaaa, sockiescat:)

-- sockiescat

Reply to
sockiescat

Hmmm. I was thinking of a baby food jar labelled big bad poison bacause I can cap off any I don't use and don't have to worry about spills pouring it back in the can. I don't think diluted will handle what I plan to paint on the woody whacked off parts. Maybe I should wait for leaves and just paint those. I am not looking forward to messing with the stuff at any strength.

It shouldn't affect the soil after a few days at least, but I don't know about full strength.

I don't know what my son sprayed with, it wasn't roundup, and it took care of most of it, but some of the tougher stuff and pre-emerging stuff it didn't phase. Some got on my fern which I tried to double plastic bag, part of the leaf turned black but I tore it off and it looks better than it ever has.

I'm glad I found this as I knew I'd tacked a question on somebody's post and was trying to remember which one.

Reply to
I Love Lucy

OK. I'll dilute it to the proper strength if I can get the math right.

Reply to
I Love Lucy

Uh, was that necessary?

Reply to
I Love Lucy

No, I'm sure he meant me, and I'm right up there near you. Was. Am slipping due to age and stress.

Reply to
I Love Lucy

Perhaps not, but true, if you mishandle chemicals whose toxicity is unknown. Since the toxicity of ALL garden chemicals is unknown, you can draw your own conclusions.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

My young Orkin man got sick years ago, and I suspect (he did, too) that it was because his immune system was compromised by using those chemicals all day.

I checked my notes. It was triclopr. So I bought Roundup and have put some thought into the safest way of handling it. Probably on the sidewalk by the outdoor tap.

Unless a poster (not you) has something really helpful to say, just shut up. I don't want to poison the whole water supply and however I poured the stuff, was hoping to avoid spilling one drop, but have to have some kind of contingency plan.

Reply to
I Love Lucy

It wouldn't have any effect. Roundup (Glyphosate) has to be sprayed (spread) onto growing foliage and absorbed. Using it any other way is just a waste of your money.

See:

gave this only a brief look, wiki info isn't always correct. It did appear to have the basics though, explaining exactly how Glyphosate works.

Anyone who uses Roundup or Glyphosate should take the time to read and understand how it is suppose to work before using it.

If you buy your groceries from the store you have been eating the stuff (Glyphosate) for years now. Trace amounts can be found in virtually all products made from commercially grown crops.

Reply to
Leon Fisk

High scores on Mensa's little picture & word puzzles do not mean you are well informed on all subjects.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

You are right. I am certainly not well informed on all subjects. Is anyone? As a matter of fact, there are hundreds of subjects that I slip a cog or two on.

Pixi

Reply to
pixi

OK. Recently, prominent scientists who study the effects of chemicals on the human body have said that it may be a lost cause because there is no way to conduct a controlled study, as can be done to a much greater extent with pharmaceuticals. Second fact: Unlike 30-40 years ago, when industries were the biggest polluters, the largest known sources of chemical pollution are now homeowners and golf courses. You can control one of those things, at least in your own home, and by teaching whoever will listen, beginning with the young people in your family.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

My conclusion for some time has been that they could all be dangerous and should be handled with extreme caution. My conclusion is also that I do not fire the first volley of gratuitous insults at another poster. But that's usenet. I'm used to it.

Reply to
I Love Lucy

You are forgetting the runoff from agricultural production. Playing hob with the ocean life.

Do you know which one of the two of us you are arguing with?

Reply to
pixi

Yes - you're the Mensa person. I'm filling you in on something new. Agricultural runoff has actually decreased markedly over the years, while the opposite has happened with homeowners and golf courses. The homeowner factor is related to lifestyle, advertising and intellect.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

That's what the guy told me at the hardware store where I bought it. Foliage. That's good enough for me. Easier, too.

Yes, I will read the back of the can carefully before I tackle that. Thanks for the good info.

Reply to
I Love Lucy

Shock has value. There is NO excuse for using these chemicals at home. Not ever.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom