Good trellis plants

I am installing a 8 foot by 6 foot iron trellis for privacy. What is a good plant that would cover the trellis relatively quickly and not require a lot of attention other than watering and some occasional trimming?

Reply to
Paul M. Cook

Where are you?

Do you need privacy in the winter too?

Lots of vines will cover the trellis.

Many vines will then attempt to crush the trellis and then take over your house.

Reply to
despen

Grapes come to mind with malabar spinach as an edible vine mixed in.

Reply to
Bill who putters

Grapes are deciduous. I thought you didn't have any soil to plant in?

Reply to
Billy

Morning Glory

Reply to
brooklyn1

Your specification is contradictory. You want it to grow quickly until it covers the trellis and then to grow slowly, how can that be?

David

Reply to
David Hare-Scott

He don't say it should begin to grow slowly, he says not a lot of attention and *occasional trimming*. That description fits a lot of trellis plantings... even grapes require only two prunings per year. And the growth habit of most plants slow down as they mature.

Reply to
brooklyn1

Well if I knew better I'd not be asking now would I?

Paul

Reply to
Paul M. Cook

SoCal. Ideally this would be a perenial if that is the right word. A bush of some kind.

Reply to
Paul M. Cook

The growth rate is determined by the nature of the plant (genetics) and the conditions. The rate will usually slow down with age because it will start to run into resource limits but that may or may not be the size you want. My point is that it will not magically start fast and then slow down at just the right size. Given enough expertise and effort you can manipulate plants to do amazing things but you were asking for something that will do what you want 'out of the box' so to speak. All I am saying is you will have to accept some compromise either by waiting for a slow grower to get to the size you want or by doing more work pruning a fast one, or somewhere in between the two.

David

Reply to
David Hare-Scott

That depends, of course, on where you live.

silver lace vine trumpet vine woodbine ivy wisteria grapes

gloria p

Reply to
gloria.p

Reply to
jimmy

How would clematis do in zone 9?

Reply to
Paul M. Cook

I'm liking the idea of creepers and snapdragons. Literature says they don't require especially great soil. They sound perfect to me.

Reply to
Paul M. Cook

This is for my front porch where there is soil.

Paul

Reply to
Paul M. Cook

Snapdragons are annuals and they don't vine.

gloria p

Reply to
gloria.p

Grapes take some work. If you want fruit, they take severe pruning in the winter. During the growing season, they might have to be tied to the trellis. Errant shoots will have to be pinched to promote more bushy growth.

I'm not saying that grapes are bad. I have three vines of my own. I just know how much work is involved to get ripe grapes for eating.

Reply to
David E. Ross

95% of his yard is patio, so he is very restricted.
Reply to
FarmI

Snapdragons do make an excellent cutting flower. That's why I like them.

Reply to
Dan L

Star Jasmine would be a good choice. Potato Vine Solanum jasminoides Various Jasmines Bougainvillea Passion vine Cape Honeysuckle maybe

Stay AWAY from Virgina Creeper, it is not a creeper in Calif. It will rampantly take over the trellis your yard and perhaps the walls of your house. I have fighting one on the neighbors side of the fence and now it is back again I would also stay away from Wisteria, gets huge.

Paul go to your library and find a copy of the Sunset Western Garden Book In the front is a guide to types of plants, such as vines, shrubs, ground covers etc and zones they do well in. There is a wealth of information there.

Emilie NorCal You might even decide to buy the book.

Reply to
mleblanca