Good trellis plants

95 percent of my BACK yard. Most people have a front yard as well.

Paul

Reply to
Paul M. Cook

Trachleospernum jasminoides is a great evergreen for a warm site with some sun and there are a lot of them about in instant sizes fairly cheap shipped over from Tuscany but it will not stand cold saturated roots in winter. In the shade you can't beat the evergreen Pileostegia viburnoides for complete cover, but it is slow to get going and hard to find.

Don't overlook hedera colchica

I'd try and avoid clematis species unless you like interfering as all Clematis naturally tend towards bare stems at the bottom and leafy growth and flowers untop as they have evolved to grow through trees etc. so they don't really screen much.

Reply to
Sambo

The distantly related twining snapdragon, Asarina scandens, has similar flowers, blooms profusely all summer, and climbs a good 6 feet in a few months. It would need to be started from seeds and is probably annual in Paul's zone.

Reply to
Amos Nomore

Others have mentioned all of the perennials I thought of, but if you don't mind planting seeds there are lots of annuals that would fit the bill (if winter privacy is not important). The hyacinth bean vine (Lablab purpureus) grows fast and lush and sports multiple sprigs of nicely scented lavender flowers which turn into attractive purple seed pods. It reseeds freely. Moonflower (Ipomoea alba) is a fast growing vine similar to morning glory which produces many large white flowers which open at dusk and smell really good. It attracts hawkmoths and probably will reseed in your area. Spanish flag (Ipomoea lobata) is another fast-growing annual vine that produces novel multihued flower sprigs in abundance and probably would reseed for you. Cup and saucer vine (Cobea scandens) can climb pretty high but sometimes takes quite a while before it really takes off and starts blooming.

Reply to
Amos Nomore

Yet, on another NG you suggested an arbor for shade in a "recreational island" I am planning for my back yard, and suggested grapes to cover it. Several varieties, in fact.

If there's that much work involved to get ripe grapes for eating, maybe I should use a fast-grown non-food plant instead. ??

HB

Reply to
Higgs Boson

No, what's wrong with me -- it was on THIS NG!

=A0you suggested an arbor for shade in a

Reply to
Higgs Boson

Notable among these is Wisteria. Innocent me had no idea, when I planted a couple of vines on each side of back porch. Six years after removing, they are STILL coming up within 3-4 ft. radius of original plants.

Reply to
Higgs Boson