Re: Transplanting rose bushes

It is better to wait until they are dormant, but I have done it during the middle of the summer, watered them well and gave them some root growth stuff and they made it OK.
Dwayne

beautiful
I think a standard technique would be to root prune NOW by digging a spade deeply (6-10 inches deep) around the rose's drip line, cutting through any long and spreading roots. Once enough frost has come to kill most of the leaves and induce some amount of dormacy in the rose, strip the leaves from the plant, cut back the branches and dig up the rose, trying to keep as much of the soil around the roots as possible - maybe slide some burlap or other strong material under the rose as you begin to lift it. I would think that late October would be perfect for this type of work, as long as the ground hasn't frozen, and by then the severed root ends will probably have hardened off. If these are marginally hardy roses, like hybrid teas, you will probably need to give them a lot of extra protection the first winter. Maybe pile leaves 3 or 4 feet over the canes or something like that.

beautiful