Transplanting Rose of Sharon

When is a good time to transplant a Rose of Sharon plant? (I am in Zone 7). Is it better now, or early spring?

Reply to
Mceezee

During the daylight hours!!!

Its better you wait until next spring.

Reply to
Cereoid-UR12-

They transplant easily. I'd do it now.

Reply to
Phisherman

It is always better to transplant in fall so the roots have time to repair themselves before the ground freezes. It's easier for them to recover over the winter, than it is to withstand the heat of summer.

Reply to
animaux

Why?

Reply to
animaux

Because it is easier for h*mo sapiens to see what they are dong when it is light.

zhan

Reply to
zhanataya

I don't know about the fall but my parents have transplanted Rose of Sharon from house to house whenever they moved for longer than I'm alive and they claim that the spring is the best time to transplant them. I'm in Zone 5, Chicago so things might be better down south.

Reply to
Mark Anderson

No, why spring? Ya smart ass ya!

Reply to
animaux

It is very different down south where I live, but I lived the better portion of my life on Long Island which is zone 6b-7a and I always did my major transplanting in the early fall. I suppose it could be done in spring, but the person asked for opinions and I gave mine. No dogma here, just my experience.

Reply to
animaux

It may depend on the location. We have summer droughts that can last over a month--that will make it tough on transplants. In the spring sometimes there is excessive rain and ground saturation which is not good for digging. ROS grow like weeds. I've transplanted hundreds of them at varies times of the year and all survived. The ones transplanted in the fall grow better in the long run, but not sure the reason--maybe the roots are feeding during the winter months and foliage is not important.

Reply to
Phisherman

Now. Because you don't have to water it often. There is nothing wrong to transplant it in spring either.

Reply to
Karen

There's no maybe about it. Plants transplanted in fall always do better and take much less care the following summer. The roots are always in a state of growth, even in winter, up to the point where the ground freezes at 27 degrees. Perennials, which is what trees and shrubs are, always have some part of them which stays alive. In this case, it is the roots.

Reply to
animaux

Couldn't hold it back, it was a perfect setup. ;-)

zhan

Reply to
zhanataya