Re: Isabel

Isabel has finally passed.
Damage from high winds, heavy rain and flooding has been considerable but fortunately there has been minimal loss of life.
Considering what the eastern US has endured in recent years, Isabel wasn't anything that we couldn't handle.

She passed thru here in the middle of the night with lots of wind and rain. I had moved our cars so they weren't under the tree with dead limbs, so instead, a 20 foot apple tree uprooted on top of one car. A few scratches but no real damage and I spent 3 hours with a chain saw freeing the car. Also lost a big 24" diameter black walnut that is down by the river. That one will take ages to cut up, but it will be enough fire wood for 3 years. Some of our neighbors didn't fare as well and one has a big tree sticking into their house. But I guess we are lucky, supposably the storm had lost most of it's steam by the time it got here.
Dave http://members.tripod.com/~VideoDave
So where were you in the path of Isabel, Danger Dave? Where is your HERE?
Your suburban yuppie problems were nothing compared to those who's houses were destroyed, flooded out or who's cars and/or boats were swept away in the floods that followed and continue.
At least you'll have plenty of firewood to last you through the winter or two.

Cereoid-UR1asks:
<< So where were you in the path of Isabel, Danger Dave? Where is your HERE? >>
Here is West Virginia panhandle. like I said, it was pretty much diminished by the time it got here and only one neighbor had serious house damage.
Dave http://members.tripod.com/~VideoDave
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (DavesVideo) wrote:

Black Walnut will burn, but its value is in the wood. Can you have it cut into saw boards, and if you don't want to make anything from it, you can sell the wood at a good price.
Ed
Unfortunately 24" isn't large enough to interest a mill... it would yield very little heartwood after rough milling. This doesn't preclude a home woodworking enthusiast from using it, of course...
Dave
(DavesVideo) wrote:

Dave said:
<< Unfortunately 24" isn't large enough to interest a mill... it would yield very little heartwood after rough milling. This doesn't preclude a home woodworking enthusiast from using it, >>
Then times sure have changed. My father ran a lumber mill and we cut mostly maple, oak and cherry. Most logs were fron 24" to 36" but sometimes a good straight piece that was less than 24". I believe that we sawed then as small as 18" and many times the smaller ones had more firm centers than the old and large ones. Anyhow, I will see if I can find anyone interested in my downed black walnut. For years I have heard stories that a black walnut is very valuable and an equal nuumber about not being able to find anyone willing to remove it for the lumber.
Dave http://members.tripod.com/~VideoDave
In article <20030921144018.18214.00001005@mb-
:) :) Anyhow, I will see if I can find anyone interested in my downed black :) walnut. For years I have heard stories that a black walnut is very valuable and :) an equal nuumber about not being able to find anyone willing to remove it for :) the lumber. You might try posting your general location on the number of different wood working/carving newsgroups and see if you get any takers.
--

http://home.comcast.net/~larflu/owl1.jpg

Lar. (to e-mail, get rid of the BUGS!!
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (DavesVideo) wrote:

Try posting to rec.crafts.woodturning: many turners are always on the lookout for wood of all kinds, and walnut is considered primo stuff. There might be an individual or group in your area and I expect some people would go a long way for free walnut.
On Fri, 19 Sep 2003 14:18:26 GMT, "Cereoid-UR12-"

Speak for yourself, Cereoid. I just got (suburban) power back after 9+ days in the dark. A 50' black walnut is lying on the roof in back, and several more down. The city (Hampton, VA) picturesquely estimates the debris to be hauled away is enough to fill 55 football fields 9' deep. Cost estimates for the Tidewater area are already over $1B. Not as bad as Andrew in FL, but not exactly a picnic.
wrote

Power came back on yesterday evening for me, after being out since morning on the 18th. Neighbor's (weak fast growing) tree wiped out their fence and a couple of my tomatoes. Some other people in the city got flattened, so I can't really complain.
Here we should point out that Frogleg is probably talking about a 50' walnut tree and not some gigantic walnut seed (or strawberry ... umm cultivar <nudge>).
- S
On Sun, 28 Sep 2003 13:13:23 GMT, Salty Thumb

^_^ Imagine the tree that produced a 50' walnut! No, it's a tree. All the ones down and/or leaning horribly are black walnut...trees. The 80' pine is straight and tall, and the TV satellite dish nailed to the roof is fine, too. I'm luckier than many. Phone wire is swinging about 3' off the ground, but phone works (after 3-day outage). No flooding hereabouts. Just many, *many* big trees down. Anyone in the firewood business should be in hog heaven with streets piled high in logs.