Isabel-proofing tomatoes

Isabel is bearing down on my raised beds. I've reinforced as best I can, but I think they're toast.

Here's hoping for the best.

Reply to
Tim Foecke

I think a lot of us are going to lose our tomatoes and whatever else is in our gardens at this point.

I hope it passes you by without damage, and everyone else too.

The eye of the storm (whatever is left of it by that time) is forecast to pass right over us (north central PA). Widespread flooding is expected - we should be OK, we're partway up a hill, although there's a creek at the bottom of the hill. We'll almost certainly lose electricity, it's never really stable here at the best of times, and seems to go down in each and every thunderstorm.

Pat

Reply to
Pat Meadows

Right now, we are getting 60 mph gusts. we have lost several limbs off our old maples, but amazingly our tomato cages are still standing, as of yet. Best luck all. Len

Reply to
len

Well, now that she's gone, we have about on third tomatoes standing. We just our power back, Thank God and Dominion Power. Lots of tree damage, not as bad as it could have been, for sure. Some years ago , our apple tree, second year, was flattened, now it is almost mature, and flattened again. I am going to try staking it up again. Isabel, was a true bitch. Good luck to all. Len

Reply to
len

Actually, my tomatoes made it! They were sufficiently sheltered by the neighbor's house. Never lost power, but that I'm Allegheny Power, and they never seem to go out in my area (upcounty Montgomery Co, MD)

Reply to
Tim Foecke

I'm glad it wasn't any worse at your place, but that's a shame about the poor apple tree!

The storm had been forecast to pass right over us (north central PA), but it veered off to the west before it got here, so things were pretty mild here: we had wind and rain, but not in damaging amounts. Our power went off a few times, but came right back on.

Pat

Reply to
Pat Meadows