Q: What besides plants and mulch do you have in your garden?

Page 1 of 3
I have lots of rocks that I've hauled home from my favorite glacial outfall pile. And a few (two, I think) pieces of wonderfully contorted driftwood but not much else.
What do you have in yours?
Oh, wait, on rainy days I have a large pale green trash can that I put out under the leaky gutters to catch rainfall for use on dry days. :)

Near the sidewalk, a little sign:
No Dogs No Exceptions This Is A Garden
One by one, the dog criminals are learning. :-)
snakes rat, corn, TX ribbon skinks anoles fence lizards mediterranean gecko (tons) racoon in brush pile rats mice neighbor cat (not the cats fault) green heron in our live oak tree many birds:
finches barn swallows purple martins great horned owl
I'm sure I'm leaving something out, but this is a backyard habitat so I love having all of these things. I don't use any pesticides, organic or otherwise and so far, so good. I wrote an article for a Buddhist magazine which may be published. If it is I'll let you know. I should get my website back up to show people how leaving a property alone for three years, an amazing thing happens...it balances out and does very well.

I never thought about the other living things - snakes, chipmunks, birds, bees/wasps, butterflies, dragonflies... My daughter too.
Oh and lots of stepping stones.
On Fri, 01 Jun 2007 22:28:03 -0400, Cheryl Isaak

They are the stars of my garden! I too love rocks and stepping stones. I'm like Lucy Ricardo and I haul tons of rocks whenever we go anywhere.

Please do! Love to see your results.
Charlie, always looking fer new ideas
--
I never had any other desire so strong, and so like to covetousness, as
that one which I have had always, that I might be master at last of a
On Fri, 01 Jun 2007 22:30:25 -0500, Charlie wrote:

I'll dig around for the program today,

My rocks are granite glacial boulders the size of an armchair; they were brought on a truck and placed where I wanted them by a very, very patient crane driver.
I also have;
A yin yang granite bird bath. Birds despise it .They drink from
A large green Thai basin, filled with water, with a copper toad sitting in the bottom. It should have glass bubbles floating on the surface but I can't remember where I put them away last winter.
A blue china pig.
A lifesize granite torso of a pregnant woman
A dingle-dangle glass bauble thing, foundlast month in a jumble sale
Two lifesize wire figures of a man and a woman
A blue china bowl of water with 3 plastic water lilies floating
An ancient octagonal cast iron gatepost, looks a bit likea Japanese temple (if you squint).
Assorted birdfeeders , bird tables, and nest boxes
Garden seats
Several tall stainless steel poles with stones balanced on top, wobbles in the wind
A washing line
Janet.
On 6/1/07 6:03 PM, in article snipped-for-privacy@zetnet.co.uk,

I want pictures!

Is that a valid email address and will you accept jpegs? If so I'll send you some.
Janet
On 6/2/07 12:47 PM, in article snipped-for-privacy@zetnet.co.uk,

Yes and yes and looking forward to it.
I'll share too if you want! C

Hey Janet:
CC the jpegs to me, too, will ya???
I'd love to see all of your garden art!
Jan in Alaska
--
Bedouin proverb: If you have no troubles, buy a goat.

Will send you and Cheryl the same set when I get them sorted out..Looking up the pics tonight I also found the sleeping dragon and a stone face amid the onions. Can't find a pic of the "japanese temple" on file but will take one tomorrow.
Janet
Janet .

I have a sculpture of a big boxer dog made out of rusty barbed wire. His name is "Freddy Kruger" and after I placed him in the driveway I nearly soiled myself everytime I saw him for the first few days as he scared the living daylights out of me.
On 6/1/07 5:05 PM, in article f3q1ne$ev3$ snipped-for-privacy@blackhelicopter.databasix.com,

Rocks, lots of rocks, a cement frog that my daughter adores, a gargoyle or two (love those), a sax playing bee, a ladybug and assortment of geekybeeks. Some trellises too.
Toads Toad house (although they don't appear to use it) Finches, purple and gold River rocks (hate 'em) Bigger "souvenir" rocks (love 'em)
Jo Ann

On Fri, 1 Jun 2007 21:05:50 +0000 (UTC), FragileWarrior

Two metal chairs, one on each end of the veg garden for contemplation and observation. Bird feeder
In the patio/outdoor living room extension of the garden (all one really, just gated and fenced):
Lots of Pots (many with food in 'em) Old hand cistern pump with rocks around Some old metal signage Whole bunch of patio furniture and tables Grape Arbor with seating Assortment of grills and smokers Big Dog Medium Cat Small Grandson Pool (blue bag thing) for Grandson and others who can't do the public or river thing. Candles
Set of Computer speakers rigged for mp3 player and cd walkman.
In process.......two 42 watt solar panels and batteries for garden power......lights, pool pump, music.
Mason Bee housing.
And a 350 gal. traded for poly water tank to use as a cistern, roof capture, and run the soaker hoses.
Plus all of Us, Lots of Us, and "A Whole Lotta Love", (or was that a Chet Atkins and Mark Knopfler duet playin') in the garden.
Yep, we spend a *lot* of time outdoors.
Care Charlie
--
The greatest gift of the garden is the restoration of the five senses.
~Hanna Rion

Got any "Kinks"?
- ylliB Wish I could Fly Like Superman (mostly)
In article

Lola and a few others.
Guess you know 'Pearls Before Swine" ?
Bill who has a small bronze sculpture on his pond edge but will be returning it this year to it's maker after 30 years. I design with plants and each year is easier with less care plants coming to the forefront.
--

S Jersey USA Zone 5 Shade
In article < snipped-for-privacy@sn-indi.vsrv-sjc.supernews .net>,

No fair. That was 1969. Nobody remembers 1969. You'll have to excuse me. I got old there for awhile but I'm younger now. I'll have to introduce my self.
I'm picking up "A problem from hell" : America and the age of genocide on Tue. from the library. Haven't finished "Omnivore's Dilemma" yet, so I bought a copy. With the library, it is hurry up and wait.
Thanks for both introductions Bill.
- (the other) Bill(y) Coloribus gustibus non disputatum (mostly)