Pruning yaupons?

A friend of mine has moved into a house with three large yaupons in the front yard. They are 7-8 feet tall, and were planted when the house was built - 1972. They do not appear to be a dwarf variety at all.

From the visual standpoint, these plants need to be cut WAY back, but in the past they must have been pruned with a hedge trimmer because they are now basically large topiary/hedge balls, with all the green on the outer shell, with all wood in the interior.

If he does go ahead and cut them back to a much smaller size, and removes all the green, will that kill them? If not, now long will it be before new green develops?

Other options, other than removal?

Thanks.

Reply to
George

I don't believe I would remove all the leaves at once- while it could work it is very stressful to a plant.

I would suggest doing the pruning in stages- around 33% at a time. Trim the first portion way back, then wait until you see new growth before you trim the next portion- and so on. Do this in your true spring when new growth is going well- a light feeding at this time is a good idea as long as you are seeing active growth.

If you plan a bit (i.e. the first trim would be the parts you want to be the longest after all is said and done) this can work out really well.

Reply to
Toni