Preen Product

When I planted my garden this Spring I sprinkled Preen all over it to prevent weeds. I have never used it before and this year all I'm having good luck growing are huge onions, My tomatoes and peppers look sickly and my green beans and cucumbers came up and died. Do you think Preen caused this or do you think I have a fungus all over the garden? Some of the tomatoes I think are coming out of it and may make it with a late crop. Thanks for your help.
__________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 4214 (20090703) __________
http://www.eset.com
Dave wrote:

What is in this Preen? What does it supposedly do? The only product I know of that name is to cleanser to spray dirty clothes.
David

It works like corn gluten to keep seeds from germinating.
Trifluralin, Lebanon Seaboard Corporation http://www.pesticideinfo.org/Detail_Product.jsp?REG_NR 096100370&DIST_N R0961
http://www.pesticideinfo.org/Detail_Product.jsp?REG_NR 096100405&DIST_N R3063
Lazy bastard, all you had to do was type "Preen" into Google;o)
--

- Billy

Watch the lingo ya crusty old bastard!
Have you actually checked google to see how it works differently in different countrys?
If you use google aus then the first hit is: http://www.napisan.com.au/preen_solutions.shtml
I'm sure if I used the US version it might turn up something else.
Knowing the google does this can be VERY handy. I use google UK frequently because I do a lot of research associated with the UK.
In article

Who you callin' crusty?
I take your point, thanks. In the future when I go looking for European movies, it should make things simpler.
Bit confusing though, last night I couldn't open the MSDS files on Preen, so I came in via the Pesticide Action Network and came up with Trifluralin, in varying amounts. Today the MSDS for Preen opens and they say it is corn gluten!!?
Anyway, thanks for the info.
--

- Billy

In article

Got me looking
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/entrez
Trifluralin
Strange as I used to do a search and get the search URL now all I can post is this URL and the key word.
Seems stupid.
Bill
--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA

http://www.youtube.com/usnationalarchives

LOL. I thought exactly the same thing. I love the Preen oil and grease remover. Much better than buckets of Napisan taking up space on the laundry floor

What is Preen? What country do you live in?

Take a look at this website:
http://www.greenandmore.com/preen-organic-vegetable-garden-weed-control.html Those of you who are familiar with this product may be able to answer my question. Thanks

As I posted, it is corn gluten. http://orders.lebsea.com/lebsea/en/us/msds/5113600CORNGLUTEN.PDF
--

- Billy

Well what do you expect if you use a product name in an international forum like a newsgroup?
And before anyone could sensibly responsd to your original post about why your plants died or whehter you have a fungus, you'd need to give more information about what you observe in your garden.
Since the cites say this product is a natural pre-emergent herbicide and that it is 60% protein and 10% nitrogen, I can't imagine why anyone would use it in their garden rather than giving it to their chooks (chickens).
Veg beds should be sufficiently well prepared that they don't need pre-emergent weed killers. Normal maintenance should take care of the few weeds that do appear.