Re: PREEN - does it work?

Does PREEN really work?

> What about PREEN with fertilizer? > > I see Miracle Grow now has same products. > Is this a clue to say it DOES work? > > Would like opinions before I jump in. >

PREEN and all the other "weed preventers" can kill some types of plants. Swan Island Dahlias warns Dahlia growers NEVER to use any type of herbicides around Dahlias.

You should ALWAYS read the label before applying anything around your plants.

Reply to
Bill R

I used PREEN&GREEN this year for the first time and I have to say I really love this stuff. I applied it after I mulched then watered it in twice. Once one day then a little more the next. Re-applied after one month right before a rain. I cannot speak about the effect of the slow release fertilizer but I can say I have darn near zero weeds and my flowers are doing quite well. The annuals I used it on are in the same beds as perrenial flowers and shrubs like lilies, asytum (sp), Azelia, Holley, and Stella-Dorra Lily. Make sure you weed very well and chop up the soil before you apply.

Next year I think I'll try just the straight PREEN and see if there is a differance. I'll either fertilize with a watering can or buy a seperate slow release fertilizer.

Best of Luck! sparkie Zone 6

Reply to
sparkie

it works great on grass, but really only in the spring when the weed seeds are germinating. I sure wouldnt use it anywhere you want flower seeds to germinate... many of mine come back every year from seeds. Ingrid

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List

the problem, dont waste energy finding who's to blame ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Unfortunately, I receive no money, gifts, discounts or other compensation for all the damn work I do, nor for any of the endorsements or recommendations I make.

Reply to
dr-solo

Wouldn't plain old crabgrass preventer have the same effect? And a bag of this is a lot cheaper than a box of Preen.

-al sung Rapid Realm Technology, Inc. Hopkinton, MA (Zone 6a)

Reply to
Alan Sung

Will only have the same effect on crabgrass (it is target-specific), but will have virtually no effect on broadleaf weeds.

pam - gardengal

Reply to
Pam