Killing ligustrum?

In the course of twenty years, a few specimen ligustrum planted by the builder (because they were cheap) have pretty much overgrown the house. My intent is to saw the suckers off at the ground, mulch the surface and let the roots and stumps rot. The ligustrum seems to have other ideas. They sprout suckers on a daily basis. Is there any way of killing the little boogers off without terminating a boxwood hedge that surrounds them?

Reply to
Bubba

Using MSMA or Glyphosate might work, just apply with a sponge or other careful manner. They will kill most anything with green growing foliage. I think thogh that killing 'woody' type plants is more difficult. There are now multople types of RoundUp. etc. so be sure to not get some type with an additional chemical for 'weed suppression'/whatvere as that MAY persist in the soil.

You could also try covering the are with a layer of cardboard and put soil/compost on top of that for a season. That might keep the suckers from getting any light and leat the roots begin dying/rotting.

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

You need foliage for any glyphosate to work well. In other words I don't recommend you use it. If you habitually cut the suckers off and keep piling mulch on top it will die eventually from lack of photosynthesis.

If you are hell bent on using a herbicide, wait till you get a good top of foliage and very carefully, on a very calm day with not so much as a breeze spray or paint it onto the foliage.

Reply to
Jangchub