Killing weeds

My garden contains "GOOD" plants (roses, Mexican Heather plants, a barberry shrub, a crape mytle tree, a redbud tree, gazanias and other shrubs).

Throughout the garden there are "BAD" plants [weeds (i.e., common purslane, common groundsel, spurge, etc) and ornamental strawberry vines].

Will Bandini Pro-Choice Weed & Feed kill the "BAD" plants without harming the "GOOD" plants?

Should I hand-pull the "BAD" plants before applying the Weed & Feed?

Reply to
gary c

You should first try a swan neck hoe, and forget the chemicals altogether.

tool slices underneath the weeds. If some of your weeds have a long tap root (looks like a carrot, sort of), you'll still need to get down and hand weed. But, for the vast majority of weeds in cultivated soil, this tool is wonderful. Get a medium-fine file and keep it in the garage for touching up the edge. Do the same with your spade.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

In a "garden" setting, no it will not work the way you wish. I have never heard of Bandini so I looked them up. Their web site is gone. I would suspect that the company has gone away also. Maybe not but who knows. PAN (

) has a listing of the chemicals. Those chems are : Dicamba, 2,4-d and Mecoprop.

These chemicals will affect your garden plants along with the weeds.....sorry.

Reply to
Timothy

No.

Handpull and use a straight fertilizer if desired, but not a weed-and-feed type product. If you read the label, I'm pretty sure it's intended for lawns, but the website is not available at the moment -- a listing of the active ingredients looks like the standard "I'm going to kill anything but grass in this lawn or turn blue" list. Always, ALWAYS read the label completely before applying any pesticide.

Much safer choice: pull or hoe weeds, apply mulch thick enough to be weed-suppressive.

Reply to
Kay Lancaster

Hand pull and put preen on after you finish that will pay off in the long run. Fertilize your plants with fertilizers that are for them only. Weed and Feed is for grass. Chuckie in the Frozen North, Zone 5 Today is the day of the Lord This is the day that the Lord has made.

Reply to
Chuckie

You can also use any of a dozen or so precise back-saving weed pullers and twisters on the market today. Many on-line alternatives are listed at the World of Weeds

Nature makes plants, humans make weeds. You have to name a plant 'bad' or 'weed' before you can justify killing it. No enemies, no wars?

Reply to
raycruzer