Potted pine

I bought this small ( 5 inch) pine in a 2 inch pot at a Oriental art and craft store. It seems to be drooping now. Lady said maybe 5 foliar sprays of water and 2 at the base "not every day". It's inside and doesn't get sun right now. But in the store it only maybe got 2 hours sun.

Help.

Reply to
Mike

Is this a bonsai? A lot of the cheap bonsais for sale are badly potted in the wrong kind of dirt, and the only way they are able to be sold is that it takes dying plants a good bit of time to turn brown and dry out.

Pines need to be outside to live. Not only does it need a lot of sun, but it needs good air circulation and to go through dormancy in the winter as part of it's life cycle. Pines naturally grown in rocky areas and like fast draining soil. They don't like to stand in wet soil all the time

My advice is to put it outside immediately, and repot it if the soil is draining slow.

Reply to
Scooter the Mighty

It's not a banzai. It could be a Colorado spruce for all I know. There's a hole in the pot and it appears to be draining ok. I have put it outside. My apartment doesn't seem to be getting any sun now. I'm in Hawaii and there are non indigenous Pines in the forests that survive without horticultural dormancy.

Reply to
Mike

There are a few kinds of pine that are tropical and don't need dormancy (allepo pines and Norfolk Island pines are the ones that come to mind). If yours is one of those it might surivive. If it's a Colorado spruce or most other kinds of Pine, you'll probably get a year or two before it starts acting wimpy and then dies.

Reply to
Scooter the Mighty