plants you let live about

Page 2 of 2
Billy wrote: ...

no binary groups on this server. the main reason i give them money yearly. :) relatively little spam and no distractions.
for picture/definitions i look at wikipedia and find it useful enough. for most other things i tend to not click graphics/sounds/pictures/videos because i just don't have that big a pipe to get bytes through and i don't want to plug my line up if i'm in the middle of a good conversation (well, ok, clickversation is more like it :) ).

ah, well, sure, they look like that.
peace, time to go,
songbird

Sometimes it seems like volunteers are the only chance I have at adding plants here. Every year earwigs or something skeletonize the sage, and with the exception of a cactus every perennial I've planted has croaked before the season was out. Never had such trouble anywhere else.
I have some blue vervain that tries to invade my garden that I happen to rather like, so I let a few plants stay on every year. En masse the flowers are nice in an understated kind of way, even if the plants are a tad on the weedy side.
Other than that I have a bit of weed Portulaca growing in a leftover container that'll stay until I get tired of nibbling on it or it goes to seed. Also have a few columbine that grew where the seeds fell on the way to the compost pile after deadheading. I hope they colonize under the trees (so far, so good).
Thinking the birds would enjoy it, I once let a sunflower seed grow where it fell near the feeder, but I don't think I'll do that again soon. It grew next to the fence and the neighbors apparently thought I was fostering a weed, and expressed their disapproval by dumping their ashtrays on it under the fence. (Well, they're yahoos anyway.)
Nelly Wensdow wrote:

wow! that's a tough place. whereabouts are you at?

i like them too. :) we don't allow them to roam here, they can grow along the ditches all they want.

columbines are beauties, i especially like the purple-white, and solid purple varieties.

heh, i am so glad to not be living in the city where the neighbors and ordinances can stop me from goofing around. they have regulations about cutting lawns that if you don't you'll get a citation and if you ignore the citation they'll cut your lawn for you and send you the bill... my ex-gf at the time got one of those for letting some daisies grow out in her yard.
they wouldn't know what to do with my red patch.
i would enjoy pooping on your neighbor's car as i fly by, give me coordinates...
songbird *peep*

I'm in the upper midwest, prairie.

After seeing your pics, that's certainly understandable.

gasp..! I hope they don't come after me for the birdsfoot trefoil that spills out over the curb...

Those look like pinks; is that what they are?

:-)
Nelly Wensdow wrote:

have you had any luck with hyacynths, daffodils and tulips or other bulbs/corms/tubers?
if you check the zone, some might take, but i might also plant deeper than normal to give some added protection. well of course that would also depend upon the sun/water/soil conditions as to how they would do.
i'd think that almost anything above ground would get freeze- dried in those winters...

we let some go one year to seed, and now we must weed, weed, weed. :)
they have pretty tenacious roots.

heh, it depends upon if you have local ordinances and pesky neighbors (or in her case we suspected her ex).

they are commonly called Flashing Lights, a small perennial carnation. there are some pinks mixed in there (but those are biannual and bigger leaved/taller plants). the flowers look almost identical other than the color.
i like them as a ground cover, but they are not nitrogen fixers, the soil is poorer there now under monoculture, so i am going to add some legumes to it and see how that goes as a mixed community.
songbird

Here we planted violets once (30 years ago), and once only. Now they form a carpet along the walkways and stairs, under the trees. Foxglove, nasturtiums, Lychnis coronaria, naked ladies, red valerian, Epilobium parviflorum, Prunella vulgaris, dandiloins, large leafed mustard, and of course pepper mint, and spear mint, all grow wild in our yard, and for the most part, are encouraged.
--
- Billy
Cleome, peonies, daylilies, daffys, tulips, muscari, lilies, dahlias, marigolds

Bill who putters wrote:

I stopped clearing the abandoned alley that is technically mostly on the neighbors property, although I maintain it.
The trees I've been cutting back turned out to include a mulberry and a walnut. Who knew, until they grew large enough to set fruit.
Jeff

Ah Mulberry seems about 50 years ago me and my buddies found a heavily fruited tree. We ate our fill and were happy till someone notice a worm in a fruit. Then further investigation proved they all were Wormy.
Yucky in the top ten of my youth yucks.
--
Bill S. Jersey USA zone 5 shade garden
What use one more wake up call?
Bill who putters wrote:

I'd think that would make it hard to go back in the mulberry patch!
No doubt the reason why, with all those fond memories of being a kid, we don't do kid stuff anymore!
Jeff
In the front I have Queen Anne's lace that I protect from my gardener (she would root them all out). In the back I have hollyhocks finally and picked a load of the babies out of the gravel and put them into pots standing in water and they all came thru. going to take them to our rental and start a whole line of them. I would LOVE milkweed but cant find plants. Ingrid
wrote: Have anything about you sentimental about? ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Somewhere between zone 5 and 6 tucked along the shore of Lake Michigan on the council grounds of the Fox, Mascouten, Potawatomi, and Winnebago
snipped-for-privacy@wi.rr.com wrote:

We have a native milkweed and a few others purchased here.
<http://www.nicholsgardennursery.com/store/search-results.php