Plant ID, please

http://ny.existingstations.com/Holly.jpg
It's not holly but that's what I called the photo. It's a woodland evergreen that is low-growing, less than 18". Northeast U.S. I'm in Western NY State. Leaves turn deep red in winter and then green up as it starts to warm up, hence the green coming on in the leaves close to the leaf litter, out of the wind. If I remember correctly, it has yellow flowers, but I may not be remembering that correctly from last year when I first found it. Each plant typically has just a few gently-arching branches coming out of the ground. It tends to be clumped together in places. Woodlands is hardwood and in shade during the summer. Area can tend towards wet but not standing water.
Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
Charles

Looks like Oregon Grape to me, though I suppose other things have the same leaves. You're saying it grows wild in the Northeast? Mahonia repens or Mahonia aquifolium reach the Northeast as native plants, all the other north american species are further west or southwest.
-paghat the ratgirl
http://www.paghat.com/giftshop.html
Yes, it is growing in the woods behind my house. I assume it is wild.
Charles
snipped-for-privacy@netscape.net (paghat) wrote:

Its not native to your area.
More likely it naturalized itself as an escape from cultivation or it grew from seeds deposited from bird poop.

After reading more about the plant, I reached the same conclusion. As I've read more, there seems to be a consensus that the low sparse-looking shrub (like I have here) and the taller shrubs are the same plant. The small shrub reproducing via rhizomes and the taller one using seeds, all-though not exclusively. It is considered the same plant, just a different phase. You can read about this in the Audubon wildflowers or shrubs field guide for the Western US.
Thanks for everyone's help.
Charles

Its probably a Mahonia, commonly called "Holly Grape".

Cereus-validus..... wrote:

Charles The photo looks like Mahonia aquafolium, Oregon Grape Holly, which is not a true holly, but a very nice broad leaved evergreen, with yellow flowers in spring and clusters of blue berries that look similar to wild grapes, in fall. Jim
In the Mahonia family, possibly Mahonia repens. Here's a good thumbnail description to help ID:
Species Height # leaflets Bloom Time Fruit bealei 6-10' 9 - 13 Feb. - Apr. lt. Blue aquifolium 3 - 6' 5 - 9 April blue-black x media 8 - 15' 17 - 21 Nov. - Feb. small blue-black repens 1 - 1-1/2' 3 - 7 April small, blue-black

Mahonia is a genus not a family, Dizzy Dave.
Many authorities even unite Mahonia with Berberis.
The two genera will actually hybridize if given the opportunity.
Really cannot say exactly which species from the photo provided. Your "thumbnail descriptions" are worthless.

Thank you to everyone who was able to help me via my worthless thumbnail descriptions. You all came up with the same genus which significantly reduced the options for me. I've since checked with Cornell Cooperative Extension and repens it was.
Charles

Take it up with Michael Dirr, chump. that's where they originated.

it
the
when
can
Michael Dirr has nothing to do with it, peanut head.
So you copied from his book, big deal. You are proof that any clueless idiot can do that. Next time you steal info, you should cite your source.
Mahonia is a much larger genus with many species, hybrids and cultivars that Dirr doesn't even list.