ceiling paper - if that's what it's called...

I have just moved into a new flat, and the 'ceiling paper' (textured wallpaper, but applied to the ceiling) is no longer attached to the ceiling in a few places. This leaves a 'bubble' approx 30-40 cm diameter, and up to 2 mm deep.

This doesn't bother me much, except where the loose-ness coincides with the joins between sheets of the paper. This leaves an unsightly gap, 30 cm's long, and distinctly black looking against the nice freshly painted ceiling.

q1: What can I use to 'glue' it back up? q2: How can I get the 'glue' into position without cutting the paper?

thanks in advance for any thoughts...

Michael.

Reply to
Michael Murray

You can stick it back up with a watery solution of wall paper paste on a brush. If the bubbles are forming in the middle of sheets of paper, then check that the people above aren't taking a bath and letting water down through the ceiling. If that's OK, then buy an ink refill kit that comes with syringes. Fill the syringe with a watery solution of paste and pierce it through the paper in the middle of the bubbles. Press the area down very firmly with a dry cloth, but don't rub it in or you'll tear the now wet paper. It's that easy.

Reply to
BigWallop

bubbled wallpaper he wanted to repair

Or just cut flaps in the offending areas and open up the unadherents to the lavish touches of some fresh paste. Let it sit a short while then slap it back down (or up that is, in this case.)

Reply to
Michael Mcneil

indeed you are wise....

thanks, M.

Reply to
Michael Murray

that he had bubbled wallpaper he wanted to repair

Unless there's lots of layers of paint on the ceiling I'd go for the 2nd option, except that I'd puncture the bubble with a screwdriver or something, then tear a split(s) in the paper rather than cutting it. After gluing with paste (for simplicity you could just buy a tube of that PVA wallpaper repair glue) put the paper back into position taking care that the overlaps of the tear are in the right sequence, if you get my meaning. This will give a less visible repair than cutting the paper.

If you've got loads of paint on, if you try to tear the paper the paint will crack off and make a real mess, so something like BW's syringe would be a better bet.

David

Reply to
Lobster