Persnicketty neighbors

I have horrible neighbors, and a fence that's only three feet high. :(

We need a fence that will block them out _completely_, and stockade type fences are extremely expensive.

I have considered hedges, but the only bad thing is that they take awhile to grow high enough.

I had an idea to make a "vine fence". I thought I would buy some wire ( like chicken wire, but thicker and sturdier) about 6 feet high, and put it down the length of the yard using posts or stakes.

I have a good variety of climbing vine seeds, including mandevilla, several varieties of morning glory ( red, black, purple, yellow, white) trumpet creeper vines, and hyacinth bean vines. I planned on buying maybe five or six climbing roses when it gets warm enough out. I live in PA, so we can't plant much here usually until May.

Has anyone else ever tried to make this sort of fence? Did you have good results? I was also wondering what experiences you've had with climbing vines, such as varieties that grow quickly, etc.

Any input appreciated greatly. :)

Reply to
Aunty Kreist

I like my neighbor, but she didn't like the guy who lived in my house before, so she put up a tall fence in the back and a bunch of climbing roses or whatever these are called in the front separating our houses. My front walk borders these roses, and they grow like weeds and infringe on my walk - hard to keep up with! I have to trim them from my side several times a year and get pricked by the thorns. Also, they are coming up on my property. I snip them back but they keep on coming. I have cut some for bouquets, but the flowers are tiny and only last a day. If you REALLY hate your neighbor, this is what to plant.

Reply to
Skirmishd

All the mentioned varieties you list are not evergreen. Chicken wire is much too weak, as would be anything else in rolls. Now, if you buy reinforcement mesh, which looks a lot like chicken wire, but thicker, it may give you the sturdiness you need, but even with that it will only really stay strong for two feet above any lower support. I say get a homeowners loan and be done with it by putting up a fence you can't see through and slowly over time plant evergreen shrubs in front of it on your side.

escape

I think what you're refering to is Rosa multiflora. Some birds dropped seeds in my yard, took a very long time to eradicate. Very tall, I think about 8-9 feet. Sturdy too. The canes sprouted in my compost bin after cutting the thing down. I've always wondered if it can be used to graft rose standards.

Reply to
Pen

LOL! Well, that stinks. Maybe I'll stick to rose bushes instead, that don't creep every which way. :)

Reply to
Aunty Kreist

I was kind of thinking this. If I use the thick wire fencing, I can always take it down very easily later on, if I have to.

Avoid trumpet creeper, English ivy, or anything else that is

Ok, perhaps I'll plant the trumpet creeper somewhere else then. Maybe on the side of the garage or something. :)

I wouldn't use climbing roses for that. They are a lot

Thanbk you very much for the recommendation. :) I'll look for some seeds for that.

I had a neighbor once that made this sort of fence, with trumpet vines, and the ivy you described. Even in winter, the dead vines stayed in the fencing, and still offered a little bit of a screen- but also, the vines were quite haywire, growing all over the place. I enjoyed them though from my side of the yard- the trumpet vines brought hummingbirds, so I was happy with that. :)

Reply to
Aunty Kreist

reinforcement

Heh, I was hoping the neighbors would move away before it came to that. :)

I do plan on looking into evergreens, maybe in a year or two. The wire thing can be taken down really easily (hopefully) so I was hoping for a real quick remedy for this spring and summer. I feel desperate to try anything that will work, because I just can't forsee another summer dealing with the neighbors like we had to last year. :(

Reply to
Aunty Kreist

I completely understand. I planted a wall of oleander, but this is Texas where it's hardy. I also put other evergreens in those beds where there is no fence. Now he complains that his security camera cannot get a clear shot all the way to the corner! His security cameras! LOL. He says he sees burglers nightly, and strange people walking the neighborhood on the tape when he checks in the morning. He also told me he saw a wolf and a bobcat and fox and coyote IN my backyard. How's that for a kook? I truly do understand and I know how you feel. The only reason I'm trying to deter you is because this wire you want to plant on is not going to stand up and after it's full of a vine will flop over from the weight. I suppose if you support it every 4 feet with a post, it may be okay. Try planting annual vines on it, like morning glories or something which doesn't get woody. Maybe it won't be pulled down as easily.

Good luck, Victoria

escape

I have seeds for Aristolochia gigantea. If you go to the below website and type that name into the search box you will see what it looks like. Send me an email for seeds, I have plenty. snipped-for-privacy@animaux.net remove the zero to send me an email, and put the word "Aristolochia" in the subject box. I have a rather sensitive spam filter.

escape

Russian olive make a nice thorny impenetratable hedge if you keep it pruned to 6-8' or so. Still deciduous, but thicker in winter than rose bushes.

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

Don't use chicken wire, use "cattle panels". They are 16 feet long, 54" high (IIRC), and they are strong enough to just support them with a post at the ends. And they really don't look that bad (not that it matters much when you get them covered with vines.) HTH :-)

Bob

Reply to
zxcvbob

They are as expensive as buying a normal wood fence, I find. I wish I could get cattle panels cheap. Around here, they are almost 70 dollars each.

escape

SEVENTY????? Here they are about $15 (last time I bought one was a few years ago so they could be pushing $20 by now, but I doubt it) I've paid as low as $13 for them.

Best regards, Bob

Reply to
zxcvbob

What gauge are the ones you are seeing for that price? Maybe I'm looking at a very heavy gauge. The ones I'm seeing here are virtually bend proof and very sturdy. They also weigh a ton and are made of steel. You know, Texas, everything must be bigger. LOL

escape

I'd trim it.......

Reply to
Mr. Mader

I *think* it is 1/4" galvanized wire, but it might be 4 gauge. They are very heavy and unwieldy. I don't like carrying them in my pickup because I can only haul 1 or 2 and I have to go over the cab with them. (A person with any sense would borrow or rent a trailer.)

Bob

Reply to
zxcvbob

Ya know what, putting up those evergreens was probably the smartest thing you could have done! If he's monitoring your yard with that kind of paranoia, chances are he's watching you frequently, and trying to see through windows. You may even want to consider buying those stained glass colored window decals on windows facing his house ( they sell them at home depot). They make the room look pretty, and deter anyone from seeing in.

Heh. My neighbor will stand on his side of the yard, directly by any open window we have, and scream our names repeatedly until we answer. We've actually had to duck while walking by the windows.

The only reason I'm trying to deter you is because this wire you want to

I've been pondering all the great advice everyone here has given, and I've decided to follow it. We decided what the heck, we're going to take down the existing 3 ft. high chain link fence, and replace it with a 6 ft. Then, we're going to buy those vinyl strips for weaving through the fence. It'll create a solid wall, and it'll be sturdy enough for me to grow climbing things on my side, without too much growing off into the neighbor's yard. :)

Thank you!

Reply to
Aunty Kreist

I just looked that up, and that is a very lovely hedge. :) I think I have a nice spot for something like that.

Thank you, and everyone else for the great advice. I have to say, this is one of the most articulate and knowledgeable groups I've had the fortune to stumble upon.

Reply to
Aunty Kreist

He doesn't have cameras facing into our yard, but he is a bit paranoid. I can't believe he actually watches this video tape every day! I guess I'll be happy if we are burgled and he captures it on tape, so I suppose I do see a good side.

escape

"Aunty Kreist" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@individual.net...

Ya know what, putting up those evergreens was probably the smartest thing you could have done! If he's monitoring your yard with that kind of paranoia, chances are he's watching you frequently, and trying to see through windows. You may even want to consider buying those stained glass colored window decals on windows facing his house ( they sell them at home depot). They make the room look pretty, and deter anyone from seeing in.

LOL well in MY case, even when I lived in the city with a house that was only eight foot away from my kitchen windows, and across the driveway on the opposite side of the house near my BEDROOM window (12 feet) I loved open windows as much as I do here in the middle of pastures and hillsides and woods on this ridge, and that means I have so many plants and hangies in my window's, I don't NEED stained glass decals. I have the real things. I have suction cup hangers with all sorts and manner of horticultural themed stained glass to capture the sun's rays and to block the visibility inside, and plants soaking up the winter lights. I can look around them just fine. On my nook window alone I have glass ladybugs, bumble bee, hummingbird, four kinds and colors of butterflies, a morning glory, blue magnolia blossom with red center, glass prism/mother of pearl marble hangie that reflects light rays, a prism that only works at a specific time of the day and an old fashioned glass ball with many facets to reflect the light off of at all times of the morning when the South sunrays bounce off it. Assorted glass things with pressed flowers in the middle so I keep them just out of the direct rays, some cheaper "stained glass" type things my son's got me for the thought at the time when they were younger that are still neat, and hanging on the edges of some of the smaller pots, stained glass hangy wire butterflies and dragonflies made with marbles and springy antenna.,.................

Heh. My neighbor will stand on his side of the yard, directly by any open window we have, and scream our names repeatedly until we answer. We've actually had to duck while walking by the windows.

No, don't duck as you walk by the windows, when you see him standing there by your open window as he's screaming your names repeatedly, don't answer, smile real loony like, toothy, open mouthed smile (like a bleeding loooooony ) and wave and then turn your head and walk on. Don't stop. He'll think yer nutz and start leaving you alone. (people hate being ignored, i mean, don't duck, that gives him power and he's won, just smile insanely and wave and keep going on with your business inside and don't acknowledge him. Baffle him with bullshit)

Good luck, Victoria I've been pondering all the great advice everyone here has given, and I've decided to follow it. We decided what the heck, we're going to take down the existing 3 ft. high chain link fence, and replace it with a 6 ft.

Well hell in THAT case, go to Lowes and get 50 foot of 72 inch chain link (I don't think it comes in 100 foot but it might) for around $37 a roll and once you've removed hte 3 foot and rolled it up, the posts are still there to use. Lowes gives you chain link pins (looks like big ol' hairpins to secure the chainlink to the post) they come with the rolls. I should know, I worked the garden center for a year and a half. And if Depot's prices are cheaper, go back to Lowes with proof and they'll sell you the same thing at Depot's price PLUS 10%.

I have six foot chain link fence around the west and north portion of my property which is the reason I'm not bothered by the deer that are in the woods in front of me. They pass thru outside the peremeter but don't venture up here where they'd deffinately find succulent tender stuff to munch right now (like that vinca major that has TAKEN OVER THE RIDGE AGAIN< ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH) but the fence also keeps out the coyote. The wild turkeys, skunks, coons, possoms, turkey vultures, owls, partridges, quail, cranes, foxes, woodchucks and various snakes, frogs, turtles and the like are still using the driveway as a gateway into the slice of property me and the bendejo across the shared way who owns the majority of the property that wraps around me. Since the previous owner of my house was the one who put up the fence, it encloses the whole inner portion of land. That would be around 10 acres I think. They couldn't afford to enclose the whole 32 acres at the time and did the inner piece of land with her's and her dad's house and barn and such enclosed.

Above that six foot chain link, they also put an outwards angled bar that holds three strands of barb wire that brings the whole fence up to about 8

1/2 or 9 foot. The barb wire deters anything from climbing or jumping over, doesn't restrict the view but the honeysuckle grows up and along it just fine. Be sure you get top supports for the wire which will give more stability to the chain link. And get those fence post caps for a buck more to ensure wasps don't use them as nesting places. (they will every time).

Then, we're going to buy those vinyl strips for weaving through the fence. It'll create a solid wall, and it'll be sturdy enough for me to grow climbing things on my side, without too much growing off into the neighbor's yard. :)

And THOSE are awesome. And easy to weave. If you want another annual vine to plant on the fence, but it will reseed, try Dolchios or Lab Lab vine (Hyacinth bean) beautiful leaves of heart shaped, fuzzy with burgandy backed and dark stems, flowers are set on long stems rising at an angle eight inches away, deep pinkish purple blossoms followed by eye popping electric purple pods and later if you leave the pods alone, they seeds will fall (and feed a few birds) and come back up. Or you can save the seeds when the pods have completely dried on the vines and started to pop open, you can gather them in a ziploc and store them in the veggie drawer until spring and sow them again along the base of the chain link fence. Tha's what I'm a doin' this spring with mine after I cut back some of the honeysuckle that insists it's returning from the pasture side of my link fence. I'd rather have the Lab Lab vine with it's heart shaped leaves. (yes, honeysuckle smells divine, but it will squeeze the life outa things and gets a bit out of hand)

Thank you!

Keep us posted on the fence and vine progress.

madgardener up on the ridge, back in Faerie Holler, overlooking English Mountain in Eastern Tennessee, zone 7 (feels like lower Montana today with temps down to 7o and windchills of below zero, my birds were waiting for me to pour hot water into the water recepticle today so they could at least drink even if I don't have sunflower seed of suet, they cleaned me out) Sunset zone 36

Reply to
madgardener