"Perpetuating" an impatiens

I was given an especially attractive impatiens. Can I overwinter it, or take cuttings, or somehow extend its life beyond this fall?

What's the best way? It's probably a hybrid, so seed-saving won't work, will it?

Thanks. vince norris

Reply to
vincent p. norris

A cutting that you can root easily in vermiculite or water works well. I don't know your zone, but if it's 3 or 4, do it immediately. Seeds work but hybrids aren't necessarily reliable and starting impatiens from seeds is not that easy unless you've done it.

BTW, if you go with cuttings, be aware that impatiens are a favorite of spider mites. I used to have a large collection of double impatiens and made sure no unwelcome travelers accompanied cuttings.

John

Reply to
B & J