Attractive outside lighting

Can anyone recommend some attractive outide wall lighting to replace the rather scabby shed PIR halogens on the back of my house? We've all but finished painting and the horrid B&Q halogens look rather nasty.

Reply to
Huge

What sort of design to you want, Huge?

Lanterns, traditional, modern, .....

take a look at

and look under garden lighting

They have ranges in different groups of styles. I recently bought one of their models as a post light and it's well made and finished. There are a wide range of wall lights as well.

There are numerous suppliers in the UK e.g.

this one is not the cheapest for this brand - worth comparing prices. I bought some Hunza step lights from them and they were for those.

Other than that, John Lewis generally have some good quality products made in the UK by small firms. I've had some wall lanterns from there for over 15 years and they are still looking pretty good.

There's the usual range of Chinese rubbish around as well but these are easily spotted with poor or flaked finish

Reply to
Andy Hall

Dunno. I just wanted some suggestions for places to look, really, which you've conveniently supplied, so thanks.

I found some really nice modern German polished stainless ones a few days ago, but at over GBP200 each (I need three) they were out of the question.

I hate those "carriage lantern" things.

Reply to
Huge

That's why I picked a manufacturer with a range of different stuff because I didn't know what would be appropriate.

That's just one. In general, if you search on garden lighting or exterior lighting you will get a fairly hefty list.

Stainless steel stuff is going to be expensive but I think you can do better than £200 a pop.

This site has quite a lot of modern styled products in their outdoor pages.

Andy Hall

we have just put up some nice up and down lights in a stainless tube. They won'd flood the garden, but are plenty to light the area of the patio

16 ea

Reply to
Vass

Probably the same ones they had in lidl a few weeks ago for about £10.

Reply to
dennis

Hmm did they look like cans on sticks?

We fitted a load of these:

But IIRC paid £15 each for them. The brand was "Alaska" and they came from Makro, I think.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Please be aware that if your light lighting is visible beyond the extent of your own premises, you are personally responsible for any nuisance that they may cause to others.

We have a couple of people who have nuisance lights on PIRs at the back of our house; one shines in the back bedroom whenever someone walks along the next street along, and the other shines into the kitchen at irregular intervals.

Before buying, check that you'll be able to adjust your lighting so that the light does not shine directly beyond your premises boundary. If the fitting you fancy does not allow this sort of adjustment, please consider your neighbours and look for another fitting.

Reply to
OG

OG coughed up some electrons that declared:

Didn't someone mention a searchlight on ebay recently?

They might get the point!

Reply to
Tim Southerwood

I think you'll find that Huge is located quite some distance from any 'neighbours' :-)

Reply to
Frank Erskine

You did ask...

2 large grids of rebar, each mounted in a tree well out of reach. 1 tesla coil EHT generator Apply EHT between the grids for a nice light show Paint grids with non-soluble sodium compound if you want extra light output.

That the sort of thing you were looking for?

NT

Reply to
meow2222

I had the impression that he was looking to *replace* the halogen jobs on PIRs.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Thanks - I shall refer those to the Management.

Reply to
Huge

[snippage]

Neighbours? What are "neighbours"?

Reply to
Huge

People who used to live next door before you scared them all away. :-)

Can you post your secret? ;-)

Reply to
Andy Hall

6'3", 17 stone, beard and a bad temper?