Penstemon problem

I bought 2 of these from home depot this past spring and summer. The first one, just didn't do anything, and the tops were 'ageing' ? I cut off those that looked bad and so far its looks healthy and green, but like it hasn't grown an

1/8 th of an inch. The second one I bought in bloom and I think this one was called "Sour Grapes". The blooms were blue and nice, and more buds were appearing. But after the firs flowers faded, I was hopeing the new buds would open, but they never do. For both of them I give water daily, in the sun exposure, and fertilixe once a month. Could someone tell me if I'm treating these plants wrong?
Reply to
Wishy13764

They will likely do much better next year. They are capable of reblooms right up to the door of winter (here in zone 8) but if you got them in the ground only this year, they're expending energy adapting to their location rather than blooming. If they were a little root-bound & you failed to loosen their roots, that can retard them too. For their basic daily care, they should never be too wet, as that's the one thing that'll completely ruin them. I almost never water mine; even in droughty summers they get only a little seepage as the drip hoses don't reach them, & they do fabulously.

-paghat the ratgirl

Reply to
paghat

Way too much water and possibly too much fertilizer. Penstemons are xeriscape plants - they are extremely drought tolerant and need water only when they look a bit wilted. IME, this does not happen often and I live in a summer drought location. Too much fertilizer, specially those higher in nitrogen, can impede blooming. You're being too nice - ignore them for awhile.

pam - gardengal

Reply to
Pam - gardengal

Most Penstemons will do better with less frequent watering. They grow naturally in very dry, arid conditions. sed5555

Reply to
Sed5555

Agree, too much water, I have them growing wild along my fence and in the backyard, they never get any water from me and I'm in Eastern Washington state where it is very dry and hot during the summer.

They return every year.

Bill

Reply to
Bill

Agree, too much water, I have them growing wild along my fence and in the backyard, they never get any water from me and I'm in Eastern Washington state where it is very dry and hot during the summer.

Well, what is one suppose to do when they start to wilt without water for a day or two? Thats what happens to mine. I live in NYC, and we have been getting a lot of rain this summer. mine are in pots out on the patio. Should they be brought in for the fall and winter?

Reply to
Wishy13764

What does one do if they are in pots and start to wilt, if they go dry for a day or two?

Reply to
Wishy13764

Plants will also wilt from over watering, I would re-pot them into a well draining medium.

Cindy

Reply to
Cindy