pee in the pile

Page 2 of 2
On Mon, 29 Sep 2003 16:04:47 -0400, Cereoid-UR12- wrote:

For Christ's sakes(tm), we're talking about a person's OWN URINE, not using everyone elses. If YOU are healthy YOUR OWN urine is TOTALLY SAFE TO USE.
Research it for Pete's sakes. No healthy person has ever died from ingesting their own urine. Period. End of story. There is NOTHING in the urine of a healthy person that can harm or kill them. NOTHING.
God damn it some of you are thick as hell.

Yep. we all put manure from antibiotic-loaded farm animals. Nothing happens. We get rodents, who carry deadly viruses, relieving them in the garden. Birds flying overhead and hitting the lettuce. Nothing happens. Then one guy pees in the garden, the anal retentive part of the group is up in arms.

"The salt and pepper in this salad sure tastes funny."
from snipped-for-privacy@netscapeSPAM-ME-NOT.net (paghat) contains these words:

No, P, he wouldn't, because craziness is not infectious, fortunately. But thanks for a good tip on how to get compost heaps turned over for free; I'll just pin a little sign on it saying "meth lab staff entrance".
Janet

AIDS is not transmittable in urine. Why not go all out and do like they do in a lot of foreign countries, and justuse all of the waste products, just pump that septic tank right out on the lawn and garden area.
When I was in Korea, we had a row of porta potties set up along the military base perimeter fence line. There was perhaps 20 of them, and every day old pappa san would come in and pumpout these porta potties, and go outside the fence to his rice paddy and crop area and literally pump all this waste onto his crops. He had some mighty fine looking crops, however I would certainly not eat them. Its common for 3rd world countries to use human waste for fertilizer. Even that clown Jerry Baker the master of all master gardeners uses urine in his so called tonics....... -- Visit my website: Remove nospam for correct address http://www.nospamfrugalmachinist.com snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com Contents: foundry and general metal working and lots of related projects. Regards Roy aka Chipmaker // Foxeye Opinions are strictly those of my wife....I have had no input whatsoever. Remove nospam from email address
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (Thalocean2) wrote:

Possibly, & it should perhaps be thought of as a "soil ammendment" -- most of which would destroy the value of soils if used in excess.
Urea crystals happen to be a normal component of the majority of commercial composts, so really nothing untoward so far as that goes. However, any spot that gets pissed in a lot will encourage hazardous bacteria which stink to high heaven & can carry pathogens. It is a red herring that fresh urine is usually fairly sterile & harmless; as soon as it hits the compost heap it is no longer safe to drink, & it encourages ugly-ass types of funguses besides potentianally hazardous bacteria.
There is a Humanure Handbook that tells how to recycle human waste into the garden, but neither an open pile nor a sess pool is quite the proper method. The handbook is available free as e-text: http://www.weblife.org/humanure/default.html There's a chapter on home-made composting toilets. Here's an additional nice little page on composting toilets as "the Rolls Royce of toilets": http://homepage.tinet.ie/~thehollies/pages/humanure.html and lots of info here: http://www.compostingtoilet.org /
-paghat the ratgirl

Amazing some of the tangents we get off on here on rec.gardens, isn't it? :)

Urine has been used for hundreds of years in this and other capacities. The key is moderation -- if one urinates on the compost pile several times a day repeatedly for several days then it will destroy the pile eventually. The idea is to help get things rolling in the pile -- just as easily accomplished by sprinkling some bloodmeal over your pile after adding a substantial amount of material.
James
snipped-for-privacy@cs.com (Cdonahey41) wrote:

Alas, alack, he probably had a good view from some window & was no longer interested in the older sister because she was pubescent.