Over Wintering New Rosebushes

I have several rose bushes that were just planted this spring. They are: Chicago Peace (Hybrid Tea Rose), Miss All American Beauty (Hybrid Tea Rose), Sunsprite (Floribunda Rose), and Gingersnap (Floribunda Rose).

What do I need to do with them now? In the spring? I live in Zone 5.

Thanks

Reply to
Gravelle

One of my neighbors (zone 5, Rochester NY) builds cylindrical chicken wire cages around his, about 8-12" larger than the diameter of the widest branches, and fills the cages with dead leaves about halfway up the height of the plant. He says this protects tender new growth from wind damage. He's correct, but on the other hand, you should do NOTHING (pruning, feeding) that promotes new growth of roses after early September, because it's a given that it *will* be damaged and you'll just need to cut it back in the spring anyway.

So....cage them, if you like. I've also seen suggestions that if they're all in the same garden bed, block the prevailing wind with snow fence, which is reusable from year to year if it doesn't get damaged.

At the very least, make sure you mulch around them so once the ground's frozen, it STAYS frozen and doesn't heave, which can damage roots.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

I would prune back any long stems that might break in high winds. You can then form wire cages around them and fill with leaves or purchase some rose cones to protect them. It is important to protect the canes above the graft. Otherwise the top of the rose will die and you will get new growth from the root stock that will be unlike the hybrids grafted to the roots.

Reply to
Vox Humana