OT: Bessy will become beef soon :(

The Vet that lives down the street came and seen Bessy my first cow ever. He said that "Bessy had a false pregnancy". She looked pregnant and got rely huge but no calf. I have heard this happens with humans also.

So Bessy has a date with a butcher. I do not know if will get another dairy cow. No fresh milk and cheese this year and I was looking forward to it :( However... I will have lots of beef in the freezer.

Reply to
Nad R

When I was a little tyke I used to watch my grandfather milk their cow. He'd squirt milk in the cats mouth. Then we'd go inside and have a big glass of fresh milk. It sure was good.

Reply to
Mysterious Traveler

Now you are making want to get another dairy cow.

Reply to
Nad R

I'm sorry to hear that Bessie didn't work out. Dairy cows aren't supposed to make good beef so I'd be interested to hear a report on the product once you get aroudn to eating some of it.

Reply to
FarmI

Black angus is better. Perhaps hamburger for her. However, I imagine a lot of beef on the market are from much older dairy cows. Bessy is less than three years old. Does not age make the biggest difference than type?

Reply to
Nad R

i'd say something about pigmy goats here if i had an ounce of humor...

and at least you know how it was fed. much better than cityfied meat.

songbird

Reply to
songbird

Dairy cows will have more bone, and less meat. Why didn't you give Bessy another shot at motherhood? Wikipedia has a list of multipurpose cattle.

Reply to
Billy

I have thought about giving another chance. I just am not sure what I will do.

Reply to
Nad R

This time do nothing... leave the bull to do the deed! hehe

Reply to
Brooklyn1

Not knowing anything about cows I am wondering why she has to be killed. Is it because of the false pregnancy? You don't seem happy about it so I take it you are doing it reluctantly.

Paul

Reply to
Paul M. Cook

No. Dairy cattle are not sought after for quality meat - they are low end meat ie, burger meat.

Reply to
FarmI

Burgers it is... Fire up the grill.

Reply to
Nad R

Cost money for feed. Beef is better when young. Chance of another failed insemination greater. This was her second chance at being impregnated. May be better to get another cow. Dairy cows in order to provide milk needs to have a calf. Without calf no milk. Calves that are male become beef. Sucks to be male in the cattle world. Otherwise dairy cows can live for many years with a good life.

As I stated earlier. I am new to this cow business also. This is a non garden topic. I will probably let the thread end.

Reply to
Nad R

Hard to make cheese and butter from milking a steer ;O)

Reply to
Billy

"FarmI" wrote in news:4de47503$0$24911$ snipped-for-privacy@news.optusnet.com.au:

most of the mince in the US is old dairy cows... it's cheap.

Reply to
enigma

Bessy is in the freezer. I have not had any of the beef yet. But bessy was less than two years old. I think the beef will be fine. Perhaps a little longer on the marinade.

Will be getting another Bessy next month and try again.

Reply to
Nad R

Hello there Lee - long time no see. What have you been up to?

Reply to
FarmI

When it comes to meat, the age of the animal from which it comes really doesn't ahve a lot to do with how good the beef is - it's all about breed (and Bos type). The exception to this is veal, but that's about as rare as rocking horse manure these days.

Reply to
FarmI

Actually you have it exactly opposite... feed being equal breed matters very little but age determines tenderness and flavor. Older beef is tougher and more strongly flavored... also the fat in older beef is no longer white but tends to yellow which adds a gamy flavor. With older beef less tender cuts can be tenderized with braising and grinding but the more desireable cuts from the rib and loin that typically become tender steaks and roasts will be negatively affected and after about three years will attain a liverish flavor. The USDA grading system mandates that no beef over two years can be awarded the Prime designation.

Reply to
Brooklyn1

It has been busy here this June. Last month everything was wet and rained almost every day. June here is coming along nice here for me. I have some low spots in which I will fill today that still is a bit mucky, yes that is a technical term.

The sun is shinning. A little rain shower every other day so I do not have to water everything by hand. I have ten pots of Begonias that I started from seed to plant around the yard. I think I will get my bicycle out clean it up and go for a ride. It has been in the basement for the last three years.

The biggest change is that my Mom 85 years old, now lives with me. Her health and mind is in good shape, except she has AMD, A-Macular Eye Disease. She has been taking these shots in the eye for years. Now her good eye went also. She can see, but vision is limited. When her second eye went, she can no longer drive.

Good thing I am retired myself now. I now have the time to help out. I got a new big button phone and printed out a her personal phone listings in big print. One page per person on her list in a binder. She is now happy that she is able to call people. She has not been able to call her friends the last few months. I programmed the TV remote for her favorite stations, she had a hard time changing channels because she could not see the small numbers. Same with the radio preset buttons.

She has her mind and in good physical shape for the most part, also loves to be in the garden. She can see but it is limited. I am just grateful that I got my early retirement just in time.

Reply to
Nad R