OT: Bessy will become beef soon :(

Page 1 of 3
The Vet that lives down the street came and seen Bessy my first cow ever. He said that "Bessy had a false pregnancy". She looked pregnant and got rely huge but no calf. I have heard this happens with humans also.
So Bessy has a date with a butcher. I do not know if will get another dairy cow. No fresh milk and cheese this year and I was looking forward to it :( However... I will have lots of beef in the freezer.

On 05/30/2011 03:49 PM, Nad R wrote:

When I was a little tyke I used to watch my grandfather milk their cow. He'd squirt milk in the cats mouth. Then we'd go inside and have a big glass of fresh milk. It sure was good.

Now you are making want to get another dairy cow.

I'm sorry to hear that Bessie didn't work out. Dairy cows aren't supposed to make good beef so I'd be interested to hear a report on the product once you get aroudn to eating some of it.

Black angus is better. Perhaps hamburger for her. However, I imagine a lot of beef on the market are from much older dairy cows. Bessy is less than three years old. Does not age make the biggest difference than type?

Dairy cows will have more bone, and less meat. Why didn't you give Bessy another shot at motherhood? Wikipedia has a list of multipurpose cattle. <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_cattle_breeds#Used_for_multiple_pur poses>
--
- Billy

Mad dog Republicans to the right. Democratic spider webs to the left. True

I have thought about giving another chance. I just am not sure what I will do.

On Tue, 31 May 2011 18:58:35 +0000 (UTC), Nad R

This time do nothing... leave the bull to do the deed! hehe

No. Dairy cattle are not sought after for quality meat - they are low end meat ie, burger meat.

Burgers it is... Fire up the grill.

most of the mince in the US is old dairy cows... it's cheap.

Bessy is in the freezer. I have not had any of the beef yet. But bessy was less than two years old. I think the beef will be fine. Perhaps a little longer on the marinade.
Will be getting another Bessy next month and try again.

When it comes to meat, the age of the animal from which it comes really doesn't ahve a lot to do with how good the beef is - it's all about breed (and Bos type). The exception to this is veal, but that's about as rare as rocking horse manure these days.

Actually you have it exactly opposite... feed being equal breed matters very little but age determines tenderness and flavor. Older beef is tougher and more strongly flavored... also the fat in older beef is no longer white but tends to yellow which adds a gamy flavor. With older beef less tender cuts can be tenderized with braising and grinding but the more desireable cuts from the rib and loin that typically become tender steaks and roasts will be negatively affected and after about three years will attain a liverish flavor. The USDA grading system mandates that no beef over two years can be awarded the Prime designation.
Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:

YES! I have prime beef :)
The fat is white not yellow. She was grass fed and I read that grass fed may be healthier but may not tastes as good. First I am going to use up the older beef in the freezer before I get to bessy.

On Mon, 27 Jun 2011 14:14:41 +0000 (UTC), Nad R

Don't leave that beef too long in the freezer, even frozen meat can deteriorate... I'd use up the pricier cuts first... and use whatever you can for soups, stews, caserols, etc, prepare those right away and then freeze, cooked dishes keep better and take less freezer space... I'm thinking Bessy meat loaf.
Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:

Sounds reasonable, something I have not considered. But cooking, cooking well is still a learning curve fro me.

Just an aside. Dried Beef for extended storage.
--
Bill S. Jersey USA zone 5 shade garden

http://honest-food.net /

I notice you hang out in rec.food.cooking where there are some woeful food discussions and some people who haven't got the first clue about how to cook but it's always good for a laugh.
Cooking isn't rocket science and is a lot like gardening. Start with the basics. Take yourself to the local library and borrow a good basic cookery book (and go back and take out other books untill you find one that works for you as a bible). Start from first principles ie, learn aobut ingredients then take baby steps such as how to roast something, how to grill (which I think is 'broil' in USian) , how to fry something and then work out from that to how to make white sauce as a base for something and how that can be changed to a cheese sauce etc.

Close to rocket science. I have read that the "Sauce" is the basics of all meals. get the sauce right and the meal will be right. Every nation is known by the sauce. Gravy for the US. Salsa for the Latin America. Hollandaise for French. Chinese... Nothing is simple. Hardest part is meal planning :)
My favorite science book:) (Amazon.com product link shortened)09246227&sr=8-1