OT: Bessy will become beef soon :(

As you say, it's not just books. You have to actually cook and so get the experience in order to know what works and what doesn't.

:-)) Good reason for doing all of those things.

Reply to
FarmI

I've been reading Sheldon's posts for at least a decade and he's always been exactly the same. No-one has ever had a good word to say for him or about him.

Reply to
FarmI

Nad R wrote: ...

the unfortunate thing about experience is that it takes time and then kills all it's pupils.

books are a good starting point, but in the end actual experience of getting your hands in the dirt, observing the plants, bugs, weeds, animals, weather, etc. is what pays off.

first time gardeners freak out over a chewed leaf or a bent stem and have to "DO SOMETHING" about it. seasoned gardeners know that sometimes the best answer is to leave it alone.

i've cooked since i was a kid. i'd probably enjoy teaching someone to cook and thought about offering lessons to beginners. nothing fancy or expensive but to get a person going and comfortable with simple tasks.

good neighbors are wonderful. :) i'm like you, tried a lot of things. i even know how to sew (which is not many guys would admit) and have my own machine. i wanted to learn how to tat sometime, not yet...

i have troubles with formal classes in that most cost $ and my body and learning styles don't do well in them compared to what i can do by using the library and internet.

yep. it is very hard for me to do things with music/guitar, but i like that challenge.

as we say around here, "it's a good life if you don't weaken." :)

songbird

Reply to
songbird

Well, I picked up bessy from the butcher late afternoon yesterday.

I was wrong in some ways. I got a chuck steak and the fat was very yellow, to my surprise. The butcher said this is normal for even a young Jersey. It is because dairy cows have a much higher beta carotene that gives the cheese and fat a yellow look. The yellow fat in a Jersey was very different from an older cow.

He also said grass fed cows have a lower cholesterol count and tends to taste better. The yellow fat is different than that of older cows. The butcher said allot of his customers are now coming in with grass fed Jersey Cows because they are smaller, good for a small family, tend to be a healthier meat to eat over other types of beef.

Outside of high end steak houses. Bessy was far better than any steak I have gotten from a supermarket.

Reply to
Nad R

I'm not here to win any popularity contest, in fact I'd rather not be popular... those most popular have the brownest noses. But if you've been reading me for ten years you learned a lot.

Reply to
Brooklyn1

Brooklyn has some useful tips, I would not write him off. I have learned that strong conservative types have a certain world view. I am a strong liberal type with my views. However, a wide variety of human DNA is a positive thing for the planet. Yen and Yang, balance. I base my life on reason, but I do not always trust my presuppositions. I would much rather have friends that have different views and "tolerant" of each other than those that think alike.

Reply to
Nad R

Wish granted.

Reply to
Billy

???? What do you mean by that?

One of the signs that a carcase is from a Dairy cow is the fat shows yellow no matter what age of the animals being killed.

:-)) David and I mentioned that but not everyone is a fan of grass fed. I'm pleased to see that your bucther is a convert.

The yellow fat is different than that of older cows. The

What did he mean by that? Was it to do with marbling?

Glad you enjoyed Bessie. long live the next Bessie.

Dunno about the US, but supermarket chains do not buy high end meat (despite what they keep telling us int heir advertising). I've only ever bought supermarket meat when really pressed for time and unable to get to a butcher. Since I've retired, I have more time and I can't recall the last time I bought any supermarket meat.

Reply to
FarmI

I've learned nothing from any of your posts except that you are a miserable, nasty piece of shit and that your opinion of your own knowledge and abilities far exceeds the reality.

Reply to
FarmI

Thank you for indicating how much I get under your skin and annoy you. And the only reality is that I'm for real and can and do prove it while all you prove is that you're a Fraud1.

Reply to
Brooklyn1

LOL. Annoying is soemthing that happens in real life, not some misanthrope on usenet who has been told by everyone who comes into contact with him for as long as I've seen his posts, that he's a total tosspot

I know you have a shed full of stuff, but that just means 'all hat, no cattle'.

Reply to
FarmI

"FarmI" wrote in news:4e08054f$0$2444$afc38c87 @news.optusnet.com.au:

knitting lace. got a nice Kromski Minstrel so i'm working on getting my yarn down to lace weight (and making bulky is damned difficult! i got the bulky flyer & big bobbins too). doing a little gardening, only 11 varieties of tomatoes this year. i put in some cherry trees, an apple, gooseberries & jostaberries. oh, and i rooted a branch off my black mulberry in NY & brought it to NH. it seems to be growing pretty well. lee

Reply to
enigma

More power to you! I keep looking at Orenberg and Shetland patterns and giving then a wide berth despite the fact that I have the long and very fine needles and I even have 2 different colours of suitable yarn. Life is too short ATM. I'm still sometimes making my bobbin lace though. I spend most of my time knitting socks although I am nearly finished a jumper/pullover/sweater for Himself. I'ts woold for which I didn't ahve a pattern so have had to make it up as I went along and had trouble with both the sleeves and the neck. The sleeves are now right but I'm not yet finished the second knitting of the neck region.

Nice! I was reading about them in one of my older 'Spin Off' mags just the other day. They look lovely. I've now got 3 wheels.

I've also been reading up on Schacht looms. I fancy getting a Wolf. Trouble is the price to ship one to Oz may be more than I'd care to pay but I haven't yet asked the question. the other irritqting thing is that the Schacht agent is over in Western Australia so a whole continent away (and I know Schacht want' ship direct whent hey have and agent in a country)..

so i'm working on getting

:-)) It certainly is difficult once you learn to spin finer grades. I suspect I couldn't spin a real bulky now to save myself.

i > got the bulky flyer & big bobbins too).

Not something I'd bother with I must admit, but then it's probalby not as cold here as where you are.

:-)) sounds like life is keeping you as busy as ever. It's been nice to see your post and hear what you're up to. Please keep looking in occasionally.

Reply to
FarmI