OT: Bessy will become beef soon :(

I suppose that what spices and marinades are for. I will accept lower grades of beef to save some money. I will try again for the dairy cow since I have the setup for keeping a cow.

Reply to
Nad R

YES! I have prime beef :)

The fat is white not yellow. She was grass fed and I read that grass fed may be healthier but may not tastes as good. First I am going to use up the older beef in the freezer before I get to bessy.

Reply to
Nad R

Don't leave that beef too long in the freezer, even frozen meat can deteriorate... I'd use up the pricier cuts first... and use whatever you can for soups, stews, caserols, etc, prepare those right away and then freeze, cooked dishes keep better and take less freezer space... I'm thinking Bessy meat loaf.

Reply to
Brooklyn1

Sounds reasonable, something I have not considered. But cooking, cooking well is still a learning curve fro me.

Reply to
Nad R

Just an aside. Dried Beef for extended storage.

Reply to
Bill who putters

Grass fed tastes excellent to me although (I am told) it may not be to the taste of those raised on grain fed beef as the latter is rather bland in comparison. Depending on your tastes you may be in for a treat.

David

Reply to
David Hare-Scott

I know you have always like to argue Sheldon so I'll explain why I said what I did. We're discussing Bessie. Bessie is 2. In the case of Bessie, which is a dairy cow, then her meat won't be as good as a beef breed of the same age.

Reply to
FarmI

Is your name Lee too?

Reply to
FarmI

LOL. Perhaps you should read what he wrote one more time. Is age the only criteria?

No doubt the gain feeding lobby has put out that bit of PR. I know people here who seek out grass fed.

First I am going to use up the

Why didn't you sample her before you put her in the freezer? I know I couldn't have resisted doing so.

Reply to
FarmI

I notice you hang out in rec.food.cooking where there are some woeful food discussions and some people who haven't got the first clue about how to cook but it's always good for a laugh.

Cooking isn't rocket science and is a lot like gardening. Start with the basics. Take yourself to the local library and borrow a good basic cookery book (and go back and take out other books untill you find one that works for you as a bible). Start from first principles ie, learn aobut ingredients then take baby steps such as how to roast something, how to grill (which I think is 'broil' in USian) , how to fry something and then work out from that to how to make white sauce as a base for something and how that can be changed to a cheese sauce etc.

Reply to
FarmI

'Flabby texture' is how I've heard grain fed meat described.

Reply to
FarmI

Here it would be a little on the chewy side, since the avg. age here for slaughter is 18 mo. which will have more meat and less bone. Been there done that, won't do it again.

Reply to
Billy

Close to rocket science. I have read that the "Sauce" is the basics of all meals. get the sauce right and the meal will be right. Every nation is known by the sauce. Gravy for the US. Salsa for the Latin America. Hollandaise for French. Chinese... Nothing is simple. Hardest part is meal planning :)

My favorite science book:)

Nad R

I will, on the fourth of July, Independence Day :)

Reply to
Nad R

Nope, my name is not Lee. Miss read it... Sorry :) I use the pen name is Nad. And Nad or Dan is not my real name either :)

Reply to
Nad R

You explained nothing we all didn't already know... and it's you who does all the arguing, all based on pure lunacy and a super inflated ego... milk cow is not a breed, milk cows are of all breeds too. There is no way you're a farmer, you prove that with every post you make... you've never seen a farm except in picture books. Btw, a two year old cow that's never produced milk will yield excellent meat. It was wiser to butcher her now than to risk allowing her to age another year and become dog food.

Reply to
Brooklyn1

Same as here with some who like to imply they're farmers.

Obviously for you horticulture and botany are not sciences.

Cooking from a book is like paint by numbers is art. Believe it or not the worlds best cooks are totally illiterate... very few of the cooks working in the finast restaurants graduated high school, and most can't read or write a lick. Most highly skilled occupations don't require one know how to read, that's why a skilled carpenter only needs a blueprint to build a house... skilled machinists don't need to know how to read, they build jet engines by refering to a picture. I'd no more want someone cooking my dinner by following a recipe than undergo surgery by someone refering to an instruction manual. You're no more a farmer than a burger flipper is a cook. It's easy to ascertain from reading Farm1's posts that he barely possesses the literacy level of a 4th grader, and even though he is a functional illiterate he has demonstrated no innate talents whatsoever.

Great cooks are born with the talent, it cannot be learned. Liberace was not only one of the world's most renowned pianists he was also a very accomplished cook, both innate talents, achieved both with no formal education.

Brooklyn1

Any way and any topic to disagree over is good for you. You obviously know that "rocket science" in popular culture stands for things too complex and difficult for the ordinary person to deal with but for the sake of having a fight you must try to take it literally. Groan.

More provocative nonsense. Do you ever get tired of making stuff up just to be able to disagree?

I'd no more want someone cooking my dinner by following a

And once again you miss the point. The advice was how to get started not how to become a top chef.

You're no more a farmer than a burger flipper is a cook. It's

More accumulated insults for no reason.

At birth the Great Chef in The Sky reaches down and touches each one with greatness like a larval bee that is given royal jelly. Yes they spring forth from their mothers fully formed requiring no further experience or knowledge. In this modern era they only go through apprenticeships and years at tertiary education as a pretence. Throughout history none of them ever studied under more experienced chefs nor read anything but Micky Mouse strips in the Sunday papers.

And do notice that Nad R just wants to learn to cook, he says nothing about becoming the next Escoffier.

Liberace

Are you worried that if you are civil and reasonable that you will be ignored? Inventing insults for strangers sure is a strange way to get noticed.

David Hare-Scott

My own views regarding the world is "nothing is REALLY simple". Gardening, Cooking and Computers has it's simplicity and it's complexity. one does not need a college degree for any of these areas. But life could be much greater If one digs a little deeper by reading a book or taking a class, life could improve greatly.

My gardening years ago was terrible, many of my trees died, plants with diseases, did I know why... No. However I did have successes, but could not replicate them and did not really know why. I have read many books on gardening and that was helpful, but still things did not go well as I hoped. My gardening skills took off after taking a few classes on gardening.

Books alone does not always help. It is the combination of hardware and software is where knowledge is improved. The gardeners has its tools (hardware) and software(seeds and plants). Cooking also has tools (Oven) and software (Ingredients).

My cooking and canning is like my gardening years ago... blah, I may take a local class for cooking someday, Not be the a Top Chef. Like gardening to improve the quality of life.

I am a kid in a candy store of life. I want to sample everything: Chess club (expert), Electronics (Associate Degree), Computer Programming (Masters Degree), Amateur Radio (General Class), Guitar Lessons (No talent, was bad), Ballroom Dancing (Arthur Murray and other places 4 years of fun), Karate Lessons, Gardening (Master Gardening Volunteer Program) and possibly cooking lessons may be in the future. My neighbors help provide knowledge for my hobby farm.

Did I become the best in anything... No. It was for improvement of my personal life.

Reply to
Nad R

Well you were well known for pretending you were a real farmer when you posted in misc.rural. From the time that another USian proved that you owned only a few piddly acres you've spewed bile at anyone who really does own a farm. Your obvious envy is transparent, sad, pathetic and downright obvious.

Tell that to the Australian Taxation Office Sheldon. I doubt that that organisation will take any notice of a remote assessment done by a sad old loser living on a few acres in the US of A, and whose only claim to any farming knowledge is that he collects every piece of mechanisation that would really be needed on a real farm of several thousand acres.

It's

Who is this 'he' of whom you write Sheldon? Are you really so dim, drunk or deluded that can repeatedly fail to remember the gender of someone whose posts you've been reading for at least 10 years in at least 2 newsgroups?

It sure takes some talent to show yourself up as being so totally and incredibly stupid.

Reply to
FarmI