Nicotiana question

Hi all,
I was just sent some seed for Nicotiana tabacum. I also purchased some seeds for Nicotiana alata. The first I'm growing for the challenge...the second I'm growing for a moon garden. I know that it's said that you shouldn't plant the Nicotiana tabacum near tomato plants, but does the same hold true for Nicotiana alata? If so, how near is near and how far is a safe distance to avoid cross pollination?
Thanks, Jenn
--
ASC: Born to Herf 2005: http://www.geocities.com/borntoherf /
RCTY F.O.s: http://tinyurl.com/64dq5
writes:

That's done primarily because of tobacco etch virus[1].

I'm not aware of the (in)compatibility of N. alata and N. tabacum, but if you're concerned, wrap the plant you're letting go to seed in cheesecloth. Peppers, another solanaceae crop, are voracious cross-breeders and need to be further apart than a honeybee can fly.
If you're not collecting your plant's seeds, then it doesn't matter...
Regards, Greg
[1] http://www.avrdc.org/pdf/pepper/TEV.pdf
--
\|/ ___ \|/ snipped-for-privacy@pobox.com +----- 2048/83C90191 -----+
@~./'O o`\.~@ | 0B 65 E0 58 F3 F9 81 F5 |
Greg Mortensen wrote:

Wow! First Victoria from RCTN and now Greg from ASC! LOL You people sure do get around! haha Thanks for the info. Maybe I'll make a trip into the MG office today and do so more research. What has started out as researching one topic, has turned into compatibility research too.
Also, you had given me a link on ASC for seedsavers.org, but the page won't come up. Is that the right address? Are you the one that is involved in seed swapping? I'm thinking that may be the way to go to get this garden going since I don't think they're providing grants for this kinda stuff and it could get expensive. ;-)
Thanks Greg, Jenn
--
ASC: Born to Herf 2005: http://www.geocities.com/borntoherf /
RCTY F.O.s: http://tinyurl.com/64dq5
writes:

The link[1] that I gave you will take you to the membership page. The Seed Savers Exchange offers more than 11,000 varieties of seeds. The homepage[2] will take you to their catalog 'business', as well.
J L Hudson[3] is another great source for non-patented seeds; he has a few N. tabacum varieties[4] -- and sends you a generous amount of seed, unlike other vendors.

I, and many, many others, exchange seeds through the SSE. It's a worthwhile organization to belong to if you're interested in preserving heirloom varieties. Additionally, if you offer seeds back to the SSE community, you get a discounted price on your seed purchases.
Regards, Greg
[1] http://www.seedsavers.org/Membership.html [2] http://www.seedsavers.org / [3] http://www.jlhudsonseeds.net / [4] http://www.jlhudsonseeds.net/SeedlistN.htm
--
\|/ ___ \|/ snipped-for-privacy@pobox.com +----- 2048/83C90191 -----+