New to this group

Hi. My name is Ricky. I live in Boca Raton, Florida (that's zone 10A). I'm a landscape designer by trade with a BS in Botany and an AS in Landscape Technology. I build gardens in the 3 counties (Palm Beach, Broward, Dade) and grow Crotons for sale locally and for use on my jobs. I also take groups on tours to various botanical gardens in S. Florida (Fairchild, Flamingo, etc.)

This looks like an interesting group with the usual bunch of nut cases, I'll fit right in...

Reply to
Ricky

welcome to wreck.gardens, Ricky. Please tell me you aren't married or having a relationship with a Lucy......... anyway couldn't resist, a sincere welcome to the group. Don't let the bendejos' deter you from good garden smoozing................. madgardener zone 7 in Eastern Tennessee

Reply to
madgardener

I visited Fairchild pre-Andrew. Lovely place. Amazing to see 'houseplants' outdoors and the size of trees in the Miami area. Such an interesting place to wander around. I think I still have a postcard. Nice to remember when it's 21F with a brisk N breeze and old snow frozen over like an ice rink...

Reply to
Frogleg

Married, same babe, 25 years. She loves the garden but knows enough to keep her hands in her pockets (or mine).

Reply to
Ricky

Actually Fairchild didn't lose that much to Andrew. Most of the extreme winds were about 2 miles south of it. I've been going to Fairchild for around 30 years. One of the best collections of plant material in the world.

Reply to
Ricky

Welcome. Make sure to send '04 dues to Paghat ;) Frank

Reply to
Frank Logullo

".......Welcome. Make sure to send '04 dues to Paghat ...."

I thought it was to send $1.00 to all on the list and add your name to the bottom....

That's why I'm still broke.....

Reply to
David Hill

way too go!! me and Squire have managed to get to the 26th year ourselves. Our last go round for both of us I suspect He doesn't garden, me and the fairies do most of it, and he enjoys it when he's drinking coffee in the mornings or if I drag him outside to look at something. He used to help with some things but not as inclined lately as we have a slope you need a short leg and long leg to walk level on for a side and lower yard. So I do most all of it, as I can. It's hilarious. Not like the flat lands where you are.................and hands in yer pockets is a good place for them to be, if yer playing pocket pool...... I have a Triostar Stomanthe I am about to plant in an old aquarium because I suspect it would love me more if I gave it a terrarium enviroment. The leaves are browning at the ends and curling on the smaller under ones.

Reply to
madgardener

Reply to
madgardener

Stromanthe!! Marantaceae, one of my favorite families. I have dozens of Calathea spp. plugged in the ground and in pots. We grew a Ctenanthe "Tricolor" next to the mist bed until it got too big. Your Stromanthe wants a good organic soil with positive drainage, filtered sunlight, and minimal fertilization. They, like all in the family, will not tolerate full sun, drying out or too much heat. One section of our garden has a 50' Ficus tree that as grown into a huge canopy of filtered sunlight. I've underplanted it with all sorts of Calathea, Aglonema, Dieffenbachia, Stromanthe, Anthurium, and on and on. Several rare palms that won't grow to more than 6' and lots of full shade crotons.

Reply to
Ricky

so it is as I suspect. Glad you gave me the heads up about it's likes and dislikes. Going to fix up the aquarium tomorrow after work with some rich humus soil and pea gravel on the bottom. Good to know that they don't like too much heat or drying out. Direct sun fits too. Makes me think of hosta's and astilbe that like a shady spot. Grew too big LOL not here honey. This is eastern Tennessee. If I can just get it to be happy in the aquarium once it's planted I'll be happy. It attracted me with it's colors. And as many croton's as we carry at Lowe's in the greenhouse, I don't dare grow them. I love the textures but I know better. If I can get the Triostar to live for me will be an endeavor. Thanks for the heads up Ricky! madgardener, up on the ridge, back in Fairy Holler, overlooking English Mountain in Eastern Tennessee, zone 7, Sunset zone 36

Reply to
madgardener

"Ricky" wrote in news:bvh7qd$rusfb$ snipped-for-privacy@ID-111423.news.uni-berlin.de:

hmm ...

Ricky: LUCIEEEEEE, I'm home! Lucy: WHO THE HELL ARE YOU!??!!

Reply to
Salty Thumb

Beautiful website!

If I ever get my dream home on SAnibel/Captiva you're hired!

Love Caryn

heading to Ocala in 1 week "Come into my garden, my flowers want to meet you!"

Reply to
NAearthMOM