New Member - Introduction

Hi Everybody,
My name is Bob Walsh and I recently joined the forum.
I live in Chicago, USA, which is plant hardiness zone 5. Gardening can be a challenge here as the weather can change from one hour to the next.
I have been gardening for more than 20 years both indoors and outdoors. What started out as a hobby soon turned into a passion for organically grown vegetables and tropical plants.
The past 10 years I included plumerias, frangipani, in my plant collection. The first 2 years trying to grow them was a challenge and very frustrating as I lost quite a few.
Then I began experimenting with different growing mixes, fertilizers, foliar feeding techniques, and grow lights.
Now I enjoy growing plumerias year round. The summer months they spend outside and during winter the smaller ones are under grow lights.
I'm very happy to have found this forum to learn from your gardening experiences and share my own as well.
Bob Walsh
--
BobWalsh

EVP MAN;908076 Wrote: > Welcome Bob :) I'm in PA zone 5-6 and my passion is growing tomatoes

> ft

Hi Rich,
Nice to meet you.
I prefer hybrids over heirloom plants as well. They also show greater disease resistance and produce more.
One of my favorite peppers is 'Giant Marconi'. It produces and produces in any weather, hot or cool.
Happy Gardening,
Bob
--
BobWalsh

"BobWalsh" wrote

We grown those too down here in Norfolk Virginia area.
I'm a simpler sort of gardener, using almost entirely container gardening except the occasional tomato in the ground and my 2 apple trees.
Too cold now for all but my lavender bush to be usable but having fun just the same!
Welcome Bob :) I'm in PA zone 5-6 and my passion is growing tomatoes along with a few bell peppers, squash and a few cantaloupe plants each year. You might say that vegetable gardening is a new found hobby. I've only been at it for three seasons now. I'm retired this year and hope to get more gardening time in my yard. I only have about 450 sq ft of gardening space but it's plenty for the wife and I with lots of veggies left to give away to friends. I tried many varieties of heirloom plants last year but wasn't impressed at all so it looks like I'll stick with hybrid plants from now on.
Happy Gardening :) ............ Rich
My name's Ben! I like chilling out, chatting and having fun! I can't wait to make new friends! I hope everyone will treat me nicely.
--
benlin910

"benlin910" wrote

Hi Ben, it's a gardening group so tell us what plants you are working on or want to learn about growin?