Need help with daikon radish

For several years I've tried to grow daikon radish. I've planted early, I've planted late. No matter when I plant them, they bolt before the root is one inch around. Has anyone here grown daikon sucessfully? If so, when did you plant, and what was the weather like?

Reply to
Ook

I have grown then several times. I plant them the end of June or first of July (in zone 5 - NW Kansas), and they usually come out very good. I like to rake my dirt into a row about 12 inches high, flatten the top of the row so it is about 4 inches wide, lay my soaker hose down the center of the row, and plant seeds on both sides of the soaker hose. I plant the seeds 4 to 5 inches apart and stagger the planting so I don't have two coming up next to each other on opposite sides of the hose. They need a lot of sunshine, and I usually have to spray for some little black bugs that like to eat the leaves. I get the veggie spray from Wal Mart and that takes care of the bugs.

Dwayne

Reply to
Dwayne

Daikon is simply the Japanese word for radish. In this country usually refers to winter/ oriental radishes. They grow easily when planted in the fall. In my climate late August, but earlier in cooler climates. There are many cultivars, some top shaped som carrot shaped and in many colors. They need relativly good soil, ( they need to size up relatively fast) and water. They don't handle stress real well. I have had good luck with "Watermelon" and "China Rose'

Reply to
farmerdill

IIRC, in Japanese, it means "large root". It's Chinese and Korean where it means radish. I grew China Rose last year, and they did fairly well, while the Daikon next to them bolted. I haven't tried Watermelon radish. I like to make takuan, pickled radish, which is traditionally made from the long pointed white radish we all call Diakon. The texture seems to be firmer and the flavor stronger then China Rose. Any other giant radishes you have grown, and have you grown them in the spring?

Reply to
Ook