Moles/gophers heading my way - how to stop?

Page 1 of 2
There is a vacant lot adjoining my lot, and at the far end we are just now seeing signs of moles/gophers. They are spreading into the lot, and I want to stop them before they hit my lot. Any suggestions? I'd like to drive them off, but I'll kill them if I have to - no holds barred, I won't have them terrorizing my garden.
<Ook Don't send me any freakin' spam at zootal dot com delete the Don't send me any freakin' spam> says...

My guess on a first defence would be dig down, along the property line, and have a barrier that extended maybe two or three feet underground. Some gauge chicken wire, to block them when they are tunnelling.
--
Want Freebies?
http://www.TheFreeStuffList.com /
snipped-for-privacy@THE-DOMAIN-IN.SIG wrote:

won't work - they have no problem moving above ground if necessary. Might as well start thinking of a name for your new invisible pet.
Carl
--
to reply, change ( .not) to ( .net)

Yea I would name them but if you want to get rid of them you have to get rid of what they eat
so try a grub remover
but really I would name them you are lucky to have animals around
we have rabbits some people dont like them but this is their home too so putting some wire around the few plants they like to eat is not much trouble
when the benifit is I can look out in the yard and see a rabbit

snipped-for-privacy@anonamoo.com wrote:

There are good reasons to treat for grubs, but a mole's diet is 70% earthworms. So, a well maintained property will have plenty of those and be very inviting to a mole. Try searching this newsgroup for mole info. They are extremely difficult to remove/kill.
Carl
--
to reply, change ( .not) to ( .net)

I recommend complete surrender before they attack. Terms could include: lawn aeration and pest removal by the moles in exchange for a few lawn scalps by the power mower. Seriously, we have a major mole population here in this part of Kentucky. We fought them valiantly for years, traps, sprays, poison baits, gas bombs etc. etc. Bottom line,, we lost. Moles cannot be controlled in isolation. You would need to gain support and cooperation from all your immediate neighbors as moles travel quite well overland. Limiting food they find attractive also eliminates many beneficial friends as well. So around here we just stumble around the yard until June when the moles get dormant and/or go deep underground in the summer heat. A few trips with the riding mower and the yard starts levelling up again. My neighbors also roll their yards but I have not found that to be necessary. My lawn is "Darwinian" in nature but that is another story. Good luck.

The common eastern mole eats a much, much higher percentage of grubs than worms. The common western moles eat more worms than grubs. They all also eat young slugs in spring & autumn.
Most moles want a VARIED diet and won't waste too much time tunneling about in a lawn without a significant percentage of grubs. Unless they have no choice for more varied feeding ground in unclaimed territories (they're highly territorial & if they reach a certain density there'll be a mole in just about every inhabitable location, unable to move to better territory without getting beat up by another mole).
Moles can be very garden-friendly but I might have trouble tolerating a Townsends, one mole can pile up twenty five or a hundred hills, it could get really annoying. Smaller moles aren't quite that industrious. There's usually only one at a time in any given area unless a female raising a couple young.
Gophers are a whole nother show. They can like rabbits really eat up a garden. But I'd be inclined to plant defensively & then give them feeding stations away from anything sensitive, & enjoy watching them.
I've encouraged our squirrels for years so that by now they're very bold. They're territorial too & usually there are only one or two in a given area. But during the cold, cold, record cold winter there were five or six visiting regularly, & they started digging bulbs. Annoying, but they'd have to be a great deal more troublesome than that before I wouldn't like them any more.
-paggers
--
visit my temperate gardening website:
http://www.paghat.com.html

On Tue, 13 Feb 2007 18:46:50 -0800, "Zootal"

There is a product called Mole Med. It contains castor oil and you can probably read more about it here:
http://www.gardensalive.com/product.asp?pn 24&bhcd271469836

I've used Castor oil that I purchased at a drug store. (Pricey) I've dug holes and added battery power vibrators. I've placed milky spore disease on my small lawn. I've stepped on their runs and installed a spike trap. Twice killed one. I've got mole plants spurge. (SP?) . Still they come.
I buy gutter guard and chicken wire to make physical barriers. I've also placed tulips in wires boxes. Next step is broken glass as they are bleeders. (Do not like the idea as it would most likely get me.)
Still end up pressing soil down about young trees. Makes me more paranoid but slow death to so many young plants gets my attention. I live in the woods and do not recommend planting any thing in a straight line. (Bulbs)
Bill who is looking at garden catalogs still ;)).
--

S Jersey USA Zone 5 Shade
On Wed, 14 Feb 2007 12:18:56 -0500, William Wagner

It's funny how the people who want to kill things because of their attachment to their turf and plants are also the ones with the most problems with what you perceive to be pests. Moles are insectivores and I don't think they eat bulbs. I could be wrong.

It's now what they eat that bugs me - it's the devestation they do to the landscape and garden :(. That is why I tolerate racoons and skunks and possums and neighborhood kids. Pests, yes, but they don't eat much, and don't do much damage. But things that dig up the landscape is another problem entirely.
On Wed, 14 Feb 2007 19:34:28 -0800, "Zootal"

We have an armadillo living either on or near our property. He/she comes and noses around and messes up the mulch. Call me crazy, and the climate of this newsgroup will do just that, but I love that these critters have a place to go. When I bought this house there were huge fields of native grasses and trees and these animals have all been forced off when the bulldozer shows up.
So, I am willing to tollerate damge to plants. If I have something out there growing for me to eat and a bird gets it, I am so happy for that bird, or skunk or raccoon or whatever. I love the snakes who lay their eggs on my property, and the myriad lizards which lay their eggs also.
I go so far as to be very careful when I cut down the ornamental grasses and clean them up. The anoles like to hunker down in the crown for winter. I'm always mindful that because I am human I do not have the right to murder animals who may tear up a silly plant or ten.
HOWEVER, as I do have critters, they are welcome, and I rarely, if ever, have problems with them.

I think the moles are taking a bad rap. But their tunnels provide VOLES easy access to plant roots. My plants are not silly and have been nurtured for decades. Sad to find a dogwood listing and being able to pull it up to find a girdled spear point.
I'm never mindful but I am aware that the Zen Buddhist in 1940 Japan went along with the program. Also read in the Dali Lama's biography that he some times shoots aggressive birds at his feeder. Must be the human condition. So no Moles = No Voles or maybe less Voles.
Bill
--

S Jersey USA Zone 5 Shade
On Thu, 15 Feb 2007 10:53:15 -0500, William Wagner

Okay, Bill. Please give me the author and name of this book with the page where it says His Holiness killed anything, ever.
You're a weird if you think the Dalai Lama has ever HELD a weapon, let alone shoot one at any living thing.
Provide the title of the book. Is it Kundun? Author?

I think the info is in here. I can't find the actual book as it around here somewhere. I've been reading for ~50 years weird stuff. Can't help you with the page number.
(Amazon.com product link shortened) 22074/sr=1-3/qid71569979/ref=pd_bbs_sr_3/102-9391882-1140908?ie=UTF8&s =books
The other book is "Zen at War" ISBN 0-8348-0405-0
Bottom line. Buddhist are not special.
Bill
--

S Jersey USA Zone 5 Shade
On Thu, 15 Feb 2007 15:13:29 -0500, William Wagner

Who said Buddhists were special? I have emailed the author to find out if she indeed said that in any book she's written and would like to know where she got her information.
Bottom line, Buddhists are just lucky to see reality the way it is, and can develop their mind to a point where we can serve others without sick delusional thinking or attachment.
I think your agenda has been exposed with your bottom line.

Agenda I have no stinky agenda or badges.
Bill
--

S Jersey USA Zone 5 Shade

Good Luck.
Bill
--

S Jersey USA Zone 5 Shade
. I have emailed the author to find

From this interview, which was widely publicised ?
http://www.readersdigest.ca/mag/2004/05/dalai_lama.html
quote
"RD: Do you have a favourite animal?
Dalai Lama: Birds maybe. I feed birds, peaceful birds. Im a nonviolent person, but if a hawk comes when Im feeding birds, I lose my temper and get my air rifle.
RD: You have an air rifle?
Dalai Lama: Yes, although I shoot only to scare the hawks. " (end quote)
The same interview quotes His Holiness saying he eats some meat. Presumably it's killed first.
Janet