Lilacs and Rhododendrons

I didn't prune in the Fall this year - is it OK to do any pruning in the Spring? I'm in Central Connecticut. Joan
Prune the Lilac sparingly after blooming. Remove weak and crossing branches October onwards. Rhododendrons Do not need pruning. If a rhododendron outgrows its position then it is better to move it than prune it!!

snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnojunk (JCMumsie) wrote:

Re: rhododendon and azaleas. Do not prune until after they bloom if you want any flowers. The flower buds were formed last fall. If you don't want to loose flowers, prune between the time they finish blooming and mid summer. The plants can tolerate pruning most any time that they are healthy, so the pruning time is determined by the time of bloom.
Lilacs have a similar pattern. However, when pruning lilacs, you frequently are cutting out old wood, so pruning before blooming can be good if you are just cutting out old wood. It will leave more strength in the new wood that you are leaving behind.