Late Start Garden

Is there any hope for starting a vegetable garden after June 1 in North America zone 5? If so, what should I plant? If not, what prep work should I do for gardening next year?

We're closing on a house at the end of May, and I can't access the property before then.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and suggestions!

--Cliff

Reply to
Cliff Bowman

what do you like to eat?

many of the beans, peas, beets, chards, will be ok with a little later planting.

some greens it may be better to wait until after the hot weather cools down (end of August).

smaller tomatoes, or get the largest plants that the greenhouse has left. bury it a bit deeper than normal (we always put our tomatoes down deeply because they will root out from the stem).

i'd avoid onions, garlics (until later in the fall), and any crops that are noted cool weather crops. it's pretty unlikely we'll have much cool weather...

many of the peppers will likely be fine if you can still find plants. we get several harvests per season from them.

i think the hardest aspect is getting the areas ready to plant if they are not already set up as garden spaces, that and not knowing the soil conditions and light, water flows. kinda pushing luck in a lot of ways, but at least it will always be an adventure. :)

songbird

Reply to
songbird

I'll second bird's recommendations. Starter plants are probably the best way for you to go, but you might look at Vesey's Seeds as they seem to sell primarily to folks that live in similar zones.

Reply to
Billy