Holy Moly! Moles!

My flower garden has become the autobahn for burrowing critters. Mole tunnels are evident throughout my garden. (Strangely, I haven't seen any signs of moles in my lawn, only in the surrounding flower beds.) I'm a bit surprised to have a mole stake a claim in my yard, as I understand grubs are their food of choice. A few seasons ago I sprinkled Milky Spore throughout my yard to rid myself of grubs. I do, however, have a healthy supply of earthworms in the garden, thanks to organic gardening practices. But I'd hate to lose 'em due to a hungry mole.
So just how detrimental are moles in your yard? Will they damage the root systems of the plants they dig beneath? Will they depleat my garden of its valuable worm population? If they are a real problem for gardeners, what's the most effective way to make 'em move on?
Thanks.
-Fleemo
snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net says... :) My flower garden has become the autobahn for burrowing critters. Mole :) tunnels are evident throughout my garden. (Strangely, I haven't seen :) any signs of moles in my lawn, only in the surrounding flower beds.) :) I'm a bit surprised to have a mole stake a claim in my yard, as I :) understand grubs are their food of choice. A few seasons ago I :) sprinkled Milky Spore throughout my yard to rid myself of grubs. I do, :) however, have a healthy supply of earthworms in the garden, thanks to :) organic gardening practices. But I'd hate to lose 'em due to a hungry :) mole. :) :) So just how detrimental are moles in your yard? Will they damage the :) root systems of the plants they dig beneath? Will they depleat my :) garden of its valuable worm population? If they are a real problem for :) gardeners, what's the most effective way to make 'em move on? :) :) Thanks. :) :) -Fleemo :) :) If you are not seeing the "mounds" with the tunnels you may be seeing vole activity. Which would be treated as mice if you were so inclined.
--
Lar

to email....get rid of the BUGS
Moles, voles, mice.
A few yard cats will take care of the problem. Trust me. Even if they don't catch and disptach them, the moles/voles/mice will soon learn that danger lurks around every corner and they will vamoose.
chula
On 5/15/05 11:59 PM, in article snipped-for-privacy@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com,

I have a guest in the yard that is doing wonders for my mole/vole problem - a vixen and three kits.
Cheryl

Rat snakes would work well, too.
Alan

On 5/16/05 5:33 PM, in article 42891fea$4$nynaurff$ snipped-for-privacy@news.md.comcast.giganews.com,

Haven't seen "rat snakes" here, but I do have an active population of garter snakes and black racers. The foxes seem to be fat and happy!
Cheryl

Rats also occupy mole tunnels.