Chipmunks in Flower garden

I have a cage to try and catch the chipmunks in my flower garden but have been unable to catch them. What is the best bait or best method to deal with them? Thanks

Reply to
Bill Smith

Try peanut butter for bait. We have plenty of large black snakes that keep the chipmunk population in check. Not sure if a cat would work.

Reply to
Phisherman

I like the lure they sell for chipmunks and squirrels at bugspray.com and combine it with pieces of walnut for bait. (I actually 'glue' a walnut piece to the trap pan using the lure.) Peanut butter didn't work for me; 'Pecan Surprise' did.

Reply to
Pat Kiewicz

Cats worked here to control the chipmunk population. We were over run with them a few years ago, then a new condominium was built bringing retired folks who have lots of cats.

Wil

Reply to
Wil

I deal with them by leaving them alone.

Reply to
Vox Humana

I found that only at the beginning of the gardening season did my chipmunks cause some dammage - mainly digging up impatients. After the third planting, they left them alone. They live in my garden, and have for generations; I just couldn't cart them away.

Reply to
Jutta Haas

Well, I'd lived here more than ten years before ever seeing a chipmunk. And my neighbor had lived here more than twice that. They might be tolerable if it weren't for the burrows and the fact that this year, a group moved into the *vegetable garden* where they were safe from cats and other four-footed predators because of the fence. Those chipmunks

*most definitely* had to be removed. They all were transported to a more woodsy setting on the other side of the river.
Reply to
Pat Kiewicz