Help with spiders, please!

Page 2 of 2
I love those giant orb spiders and their webs. I have two gigantic webs outside my front windows. Ordinary garden spiders. They lay egg cases and I always have a nice supply of them every year.
The only reason I would brush them down is to paint, which I am going to have to do this winter. Even then, my husband carefully takes the egg cases down puts them elsewhere, in a safe place.

Well, in my idle moments I suppose it's fascinating to sit and watch a large spider spin its complicated web. At other times, however, I don't like guests getting slapped in the face with cobwebs when they walk out onto my covered deck.
BTW, I've never spent time studying, but I've not seen spiders snagging ants and roaches. Have I been missing something?
Dora - who doesn't care for creepy-crawlies, especially in the house, even if they are in the overall scheme of things. To each his own.
Oh, well I love when they are there and I always point them out to people who come over. They are always very surprised and very interested in the process. Then again, I probably have friends which are more like me in that regard.

I love spiders - they are our friends. Please don't kill out friends..

Oh, gimme a break. While it's very St. Francis to love every living creature, and rabbit on about "places in the natural world," humans and their dwellings have a place, too. A good rainstorm "naturally" kills far more insects (or arachnids) than anyone tidying their porch could. Spiders are interesting. They have their place in the natural scheme of things, which *isn't* spinning webs inside my car. Many people find all spiders creepy. Few want to host snakes in their basements, however beneficial their habits (mostly) are.

I knew someone would bite...and amuse me.

V :)

I haven't bitten anyone in *years*. Happy to hear you're amused.
snipped-for-privacy@giveitup.com says... :) BTW, I've never spent time studying, but I've not seen spiders snagging ants :) and roaches. Have I been missing something? :) :) Wolf spiders, jumping spiders and even brown recluses are know for running about snagging their prey without a web, which include all the crawling insects such as ants and roaches..even small reptiles.
--

http://home.comcast.net/~larflu/spid2.jpg

Lar. (to e-mail, get rid of the BUGS!!

Well, maybe not ants and roaches (don't have any, thankfully) but lots of other little things. Here is a link to pictures of some of my seasonal cohabitants (Joe and Jolene) this year. They are fascinating to watch: http://www.colostate.edu/Depts/CoopExt/4DMG/Credits/jumping.htm sed5555
"Sed5555" wrote in message>
limey wrote:

Ugh, ugh, ugh! <grin> Well, I don't have roaches either, but we do get ants marching into the house in spring and fall. Those spiders are certainly lying down on the job at those times. Another poster says they catch snakes? Good lord, how big are those spiders?
Dora