Help with spiders

Hello all, I'm wondering if someone can be of assistance with a small spider situation I'm encountering.

First of all let me say that I'm from NYC and do not have much knowledge at all about spiders except to respect their sapce and that they are a great help in the elimination of insect pests.

Well here is my situation, Whenever I mow my lawn I've been running into three wierd spider web/strands in different parts of my backyard. They run usually from my Citrus trees (grapefruit, Navel orange, and mandarin) either horizontally to another tree or diagonally into the ground.

These webs are not webs in the classic sense of the word but rather either single long strands or at the most, like I ran into today, one single horizontal strand with a single diagonal strand into the ground.

The longest strand extended from limb approximately 12 feet about the ground diagonally to a spot approx 20 feet away from the originating spot.

I usually will not see these things until I've run into them with my forehead and taken a step or two forward. They usually will not break and feel like someone has tightened a thread across my forehead to the point of almost breaking skin.

I have encountered strong webs before but never like this.

Today I ran into the horizontal and diagonal tri strand and followed it back into the Navel tree. The spider is holed up between two leaves as follows:

(s)

so that it cannot be seen readily without me shining a very strong light in between the leaves, the silhouette tends to me believe it may be large but I am not sure. Before I shine the light, has anyone else encountered this type of spider who can share their knowledge with me?

Thanks.

...Papewayo #026 teamROCS

Reply to
Papewayo

In article , snipped-for-privacy@aol.com says... :) so that it cannot be seen readily without me shining a very strong :) light in between the leaves, the silhouette tends to me believe it may :) be large but I am not sure. Before I shine the light, has anyone else :) encountered this type of spider who can share their knowledge with me? :) :) :) A number of type of orb weavers will build their web at night, remove all but the main strains at dawn, then rebuild at dusk.

Reply to
Lar

Might not be a spider at all, but rather the silk of a bagworm.

Dave

Reply to
David J Bockman