Help identifying this flower

Could someone help me identify the flower pictured here?

looks something like cornflower, but the leaves/stems are wrong.

The plant is located in Chantilly, Virginia, and was the first thing to bloom this spring - around mid-march - and is still blooming. The plant itself just appeared in our garden last fall (I hate it when that happens) and bloomed then as well. It never really died off through the winter.

Reply to
Dwayne Smith

"pinks", which is more or less perennial, as opposed to the species commonly called "Sweet William" which is shorter, greener, and more or less annual or biennial.

Reply to
Jim Shaffer, Jr.

Dianthus, small cousin to the carnation, semi-evergreen. Maybe specifically Dianthus gratianopolitanus.

-paghat the ratgirl

Reply to
paghat

Diantus, very pretty.

'enry VIII

Reply to
'enry VIII

In England we call them "Pinks." Helen

Reply to
HPBudlong

It's a Dianthus, a carnation relative. Offhand it looks like a cheddar pink to me (D. gratianopolitanus), but I don't sight- recognize most cultivated Dianthus -- there are about 300 species and a couple of bushels of hybrids.

I'm rather fond of the Caryophyllaceae...it's an easy family to recognize, and often the flowers are spicy-fragrant.

Reply to
Kay Lancaster

Thanks to all for the ID of dianthus!

Reply to