Helleborus?

Page 1 of 3
Helleborus looks like a cool perennial for here in the Denver area. They say it blooms in late winter. How neat.
It's also supposed to be good for shade and part shade. The area where I'd like to plant some, is on an embankment that's mostly shaded by some trees in summer but of course they have no leaves in winter, but I guess that would be ok for this plant?
They also say it's evergreen. Really? Here in Denver or in southern climates?
But I see the seed sellers on Ebay are only selling a few seeds at a time and they're pricey. Why is that? It isn't one of those plants that's very hard to get seeds started for, is it?
Do the seeds take like 6 months to germinate or anything?
I like more of a sure thing, where I can just plant seeds and they go for it.
don't bother with seeds honey, go to Southwest Gardens on 4114 Harlan Street, in Wheat Ridge and ask for Cary West (phone number 423-5606) no he doesn't have Hellebore, but he has other incredible things that will grow there. (there's another garden center close by, but I can't remember the name.....sorry, it's been seven years since I perused the nurseries, but at least Southwest Gardens is still in business!!) if you go there, tell Cary that "the madgardener in Eastern Tennessee who called you sent me" and he'll have a good laugh and you'll find some awesome plants.............. let me know how you do! maddie

What a lousy post. You give her the business name, address, phone number and a person to speak to, and this is supposed to be helpful?
(just kidding) :)

But...I want helleborus! :)
then I guess you'll have to order them from Bluestone Perennials, or Heronswood Nurseries or White Flower Farm or hunt around and find a mail order company that has them. I have seedlings I could send a few of them before it gets too hot............anyone on the western area know of a source for Hellebore? madgardener
wrote :

Here is a plant place
Cricklewood Nursery, 11907 Nevers Road, Snohomish Washington. 98290
Seeds below and btw this post is driving my my spell checker crazy ;))
According to the Book Hellebores ISBD 0-88192-266-8 which costs US 29.95 wow. But the pics alone give a glimpse of what can be. I think of these plants as almost being small scrubs.
Anyway it says Hellebore seed can be imported into the U.S. from Europe.
So we start with a U.S. Source.
Life-Form Replicators PO Box 857 Fowlerville, Michigan 48836
Phedar Nursery Bunkers Hill Romiley, Stockport, SK6 3DS
Jim & Jenny Archibald Bryn Collen Ffostrasol, Llandysul Dyfed SA44 5SB
Last two source are from the United Kingdom.
Bill
--
S Jersey USA Zone 5 Shade
wrote :

he doesn't HAVE to grow them from seed. I'm willing to prick out a few seedlings from my three different varieties and send them to him if he absolutely doesn't want to get up off of the $13 for a gallon pot (that's a good price, by the way) but I've not heard back yet. madgardener who knows how to spell Hellebore..........LOL

How about just buying a ready-grown plant from a reliable LOCAL nursery? It's not an uncommon plant.

I checked with one. They don't have seedling size, only gallons, and they want $13 each!

Here ya go - knock yourself out! http://wholesale.thompson-morgan.com/us/en/product/4237/1

Denver
that's
have
one
is
and
gallons,
What's wrong with this picture?
I can buy Hollyhock seeds for about $3 per 500, and they want $56 for 100 of those? And they can take 6 months to germinate?

- Does 56 cents per plant sound better than $13.00 each at a nursery?
- Is it possible they're not as easy to get seeds from than other plants?
- A google search for "hellebore seeds" turned up quite a few results. Have you tried that?
- Yes. They can take 6 months. They might also require stratification: http://www.emmitsburg.net/gardens/articles/adams/2002/stratification_of_seeds.htm

Sure, if they all germinate, and within a few weeks, not 6 months or a year later.

I will now.
One odd thing is that they say the plant likes shade, but in winter? There are no leaves on the trees to shade it then. How is that handled?

Hmm. Does that need to be done with these seeds, for success?

If they're saying 6 months, then that may answer the other question below, about stratification. More research is in order for you. "Seed Starter's Handbook", by Nancy Bubel (sp?). Check your library. I know it sounds bizarre that seeds can take that long to sprout, when you consider that marigolds pop out in about 48 hours. But, the plants have their own reasons for doing things. Sort of like cats.

Perhaps their natural habitat is in deep woods, where shade can exist behind embankments, or around tall evergreens. At home, you can give them some winter protection by banking leaves against them, observing the patterns of light on your property and planting accordingly, or using other plants to provide the necessary conditions.

See above, and take a close look at this site. I suspect it might have some information about hellebores, but I'm not sure: http://www.hellebores.org/growing/propagating.html

yeah, they bloom from seed in about four years..........................................booger! maddie

the older leaves will start looking raggedy, but resist the urge to prune or tidy them, and come late winter, the new leaves will rise from the old ones in the center, and eventually a bloom spike and viola! you're in business. madgardener

How cool. If they spread out that would be great.

They sound like fun.

You might want to wait until the end of the season and see if you can get any on sale. I picked up four last August and paid $10 for the lot. They have beautiful flowers on them right now. I saw an ad in a local nursery's flyer last week advertsing Hellebores 1 for $30 or 2 for $50. Insane pricing!
Good luck finding some. They are worth it if you can get them at a reasonable price!!
Jacqui

Too bad Home Depot doesn't sell plants like that. You could walk in right now, ask for the manager, and say "Look...you're gonna start killing all your nursery stock in about a month, and then try to sell it all really cheap. Why not just sell me some of those plants now, at the damaged goods price?" :-)

Here in Australia, I sometimes see them at second hand type shops. People often end up with so many of them, they give them to these places to get rid of them.
Jen